Backend Java Server Architect
- Bend, OR, USA
What we're doing at BRD (formerly known as BreadWallet)
BRD is at the heart of a financial revolution. We're building the missing piece of infrastructure that ties together the essential functionality of a bank, but where individuals retain complete control over their assets. As a a financial infrastructure company, our mission is unlikely to ever be complete. We need continually strive to bring the power of our apps to new regions of the world, some of which have never had wide access to banking functionality.
Our approach to this problem heavily focuses on several core tenets. For one, we will never have direct control or visibility over customer funds. It is not our job to interfere in the personal financial lives of our customers. This is accomplished by using digital assets like Bitcoin, and a mobile app like ours which manages its assets on-device.
The second tenet of our approach is to provide integration with the traditional financial system. Regardless of the currency, people still need to get paid, pay their bills, pay for goods at merchants, and send money to their family and friends. We are building infrastructure that integrates with local financial businesses that tie in with local currencies and adhere to local laws.
Finally, we need to fight for a quality consumer experience. This is why we try to retain control over every moment of our customer's interaction with our products. We relentlessly design, redesign, test, and experiment to ensure our customers have a positive, safe experience.
We are looking for a Server Architect to join our team who will be responsible for assisting and eventually leading the architecture of a new product line. This is currently a stealth project team but more will be revealed very soon. Our main product is a cryptocurrency wallet currently supporting over 150 assets. We are looking to add many more assets, dramatically improve the user experience in our app, as well as potentially develop new lines of business.
In this role, you will:
- Interface with product owners to gather requirements
- Work closely with internal engineering server-side and mobile teams to design and develop new features and new solutions
- Work with team to define the infrastructure requirements and coordinate provisioning
- Provide assessment to solutions, benefits, risks, schedule, impact on operations to productize the concepts
- Ensure adherence to standards for design & development
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Extensive experience architecting, designing, developing, delivering and supporting cloud based backend solutions using Java, Spring, REST services, SQL, No-SQL, Kafka, C, Unix
- Strong knowledge of data structures, concurrency, design patterns, object-oriented software engineering best practices
- Solid understanding of high-performance scalable systems
- Security domain knowledge
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Team-oriented, experience working with distributed teams, ability to work independently
- Entrepreneurial spirit, innovative, self-motivated, reliable, adaptable with a positive attitude
- Excellent language as well as business and technical communication skills
What it's like to work here
We've built a lively remote work culture that emphasizes regular personal interaction. At BRD, we started as a remote team and have built our workflows around it. This allows us to hire people who want to work with us, regardless of where they've decided to settle (or roam).
Work-life balance is important to everyone at BRD, and we strive to ensure everyone has enough time for family, exercise, and mental health. In our opinion, a happy and healthy team is an essential ingredient to finding creative solutions to the hard problems we're trying to solve.
We're more operationally transparent than you may be used to. The entire BRD team has access to a variety of dashboards that help our distributed team make better decisions. If you have a question that can't be answered by a dashboard or an easy query, let's see if we can fix that.
BRD is committed to building an actively inclusive work environment that makes our team an excellent home for everyone—regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics.
You should include these in your application:
- Resume and LinkedIn profile
- Links to code samples on Github, Gitlab, etc
Email us your resume and a personal note and we will get back to you as soon as possible.