Director, Internal Communications & Employee Engagement
- Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
The Director, Internal Communications & Employee Engagement will be part of a dynamic global communications and human resources team and responsible for communications plans and activities that inform and engage team members around the world. Reporting to the Vice President/Head of Global Communications with a dotted line to the VP, People & Culture, the Director will support and drive the effectiveness of companywide communications and engagement strategies through channels, content, measurement and events. The Director will oversee internal and agency teams in implementing programs and developing content, including speeches, announcements, events and videos. This individual will also play a key role in coaching executives on presentations and speaking opportunities.
The perfect candidate is both a team player and self-starter and can come up with creative, innovative ideas to inform, motivate, and inspire team members; skillfully manage and assist executives with their team communications; and get in the trenches to execute plans and make things happen.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Building and executing the strategy for proactively aligning team members around BIC’s vision, mission and business priorities
- Partnering with the global communications team and HR team members to implement major internal initiatives and engagement activities such as town hall meetings, internal announcements, department reorganization communications, and other sensitive topics
- Reviews, edits and approves employee announcements
- Develops communications that support Mergers & Acquisitions activities
- Advises functional leaders on communications strategies and approaches
- Drafts speeches and video content for internal announcements and events
- Leads quarterly corporate communications initiatives, such as managing content creation and coordination of global town hall meetings and writing/editing leader communications
- Develops a strategy to reach and engage remote team members
- Plays a key role in the vision, planning, and execution of the biannual leadership meeting
- Ensures internal communications messages are consistent across all mediums and with external communication messages
- Responds to feedback from staff and adjusts communications content accordingly
- Maintains the BIC voice and internal brand across all communications, written and verbal, and across company leadership
- Key member of Crisis Communications response team, coordinating the internal response and communications to issues and crises as required
- Design and implement engagement strategies to promote awareness and adoption of our employment brand across the various stages of the employee lifecycle and build brand ambassadors
- Collaborate with the broader HR team to secure impactful communication on key/strategic workforce development and change management initiatives
- In partnership with People and Culture team, design and execute engagement surveys, perform analysis of results, build action plans and track progress against planned initiatives and commitments
- Develop a regional engagement ambassador program to assist with local/regional engagements
- Works with executive leadership team to analyze engagement survey results, identify trends and make recommendation to improve and maintain high employee engagement.
- Advises business leaders and HRBPs on engagement strategies for their teams
- Design and execute Group Recognition Awards program
- Craft and execute a Global Diversity, Equity & Inclusion communications strategy
- Create and maintain global HR and DE&I communications Calendars
- Develop team member event strategy at two HQ locations and partner with HR and Communications team members in regions to design events to drive engagement
- Support CHRO on quarterly communication to all HR team members and twice-annual town halls
- Member of HR Leadership team
- Support HR transformation, including implementation of SuccessFactors, providing guidance and feedback to project-specific change management team
- Partner with Talent Acquisition team to support efforts on enhancing employment brand, including creating opportunities for team members to engage with BIC on social media
- Create database of employee assets related to engagement to be used for both internal and external marketing efforts (photos, testimonials, etc.)
- Provide input to Real Estate / Facilities teams on optimization of workspace to foster increased collaboration and engagement
Successful candidates will possess:
- Bachelor degree in Communications, English, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or a related field required
- 10+ years of experience within corporate communications and employee communications in-house or at an agency
- Experience managing others
- Experience in fast-moving industry within a heavily matrixed organization
- Experience working in a global organization
- Progressive change management and communications experience
- Formal training and extensive experience in employee communications and advising executives in communications and reputation management
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior leadership teams
- High-touch stakeholder engagement; track record of building relationships with cross-functional teams
- Ability to identify and analyze business and audience needs to deliver messages via the most appropriate mix of channels.
- Strong management and strategic planning and goal setting
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with multiple and changing priorities while maintaining a strong focus on execution and results
- Ability to show visual communications and writing samples across a variety of communications channels
- Excellent visual, oral and written communication skills required
- Strong executive presence, able to effectively manage complex, sensitive and confidential matters
- Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills. Creative visual storyteller. Inquisitive. Creativity, critical thinking, ability and confidence to advise senior managers and problem solve, to shape communications strategies and plans. Media and presentation training a plus.
BIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly commit to hiring people with different backgrounds and experiences to help us build better products, make better decisions, and better serve our customers. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or similar characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
BIC is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any team member at BIC via email, or directly to a BIC team member in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of BIC, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by BIC as a result of the referral or through other means.