Director, Corporate Communications
- Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
The Director, Corporate Communications will be part of a dynamic global communications team responsible for communications plans and activities that enhances the company’s reputation and brand image. Reporting to the Vice President/Head of Global Communications, the Director will support and drive the effectiveness of companywide communications and engagement strategies through external channels, including public relations campaigns, content, and social media. This position is accountable for controlling and overseeing the flow of communication and information between the company and the public. The Director will also oversee agency teams in implementing programs and developing content, including press releases, web content, talking points, and presentations. This individual will also play a key role in coaching executives on media and speaking opportunities and serve as a company spokesperson when required.
The perfect candidate is both a team player and self-starter and can come up with creative, innovative ideas to inform and inspire the media, customers and consumers; skillfully manage and assist executives with external speaking opportunities; and get in the trenches to execute plans and make things happen.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Being a key member of the Crisis Communications team, managing and responding to crises or challenging situations quickly and professionally
- Creating annual and programmatic strategies and plans that align with business objectives and help drive company growth
- Making sure all company materials have consistent and strategic messaging and branding
- Working in partnership with Investor Relations, Marketing, Legal, Sustainability, Human Resources and other internal departments to ensure consistent and strategic messaging and branding
- Leading the global communications approach to key focus areas of the company, including Innovation; Diversity, Equality and Inclusion; and Sustainability
- Conducting quality control on all external communications
- Managing a team of two to three communications professionals, including a Manager of Digital and Social Communications and a Coordinator of Communications, and a number of agencies to execute communications objectives
- Guiding regional communicators to align with global communications strategies while honoring and maintaining the integrity of geographical and cultural nuances
- Oversight of corporate social media strategy and execution
- Oversight of the development and maintenance of the corporate website, including methods to deliver message and clarity of information; ensures that all content is current, relevant, and consistent with the brand
- Acts as corporate spokesperson and responds to members of the media in a timely manner; composes and distributes press releases as needed
- Develops and maintains positive professional relationships with various members of the media
- Assists executive leadership in developing presentations, speeches, and other important corporate messages
- Develops communications that support Mergers & Acquisitions activities
- Develops, composes, distributes, and implements polices to enhance the efficiency of the communications department
- Develops corporate communications goals and works with team members to develop and meet individual goals. Responsible for maintaining team cohesion and comradery, informing them of changing business priorities, and sharing team point of view with senior management
- Bachelor degree in Communications, English, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or a related field required
- 10-15 years of experience in corporate communications of which at least 5 are in a managerial capacity, preferably in consumer-packaged goods industry
- Extensive experience in social media
- Exemplary writing and presentation skills
- Extensive experience in advising executives in communications and reputation management
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior leadership teams
- High-touch stakeholder engagement; track record of building relationships with cross-functional teams
- Ability to identify and analyze business and audience needs to deliver messages via the most appropriate mix of channels
- Strong management and strategic planning and goal setting
- Ability to work in a global, fast-paced environment, with multiple and changing priorities while maintaining a strong focus on execution and results
- Ability to show visual communications and writing samples across a variety of communications channels
- Excellent visual, oral and written communication skills
- Strong executive presence, able to effectively manage complex, sensitive and confidential matters
- Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills. Creative visual storyteller. Inquisitive. Creativity, critical thinking, ability, and confidence to advise senior managers and problem solve, to shape communications strategies and plans
BIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly commit to hiring people with different backgrounds and experiences to help us build better products, make better decisions, and better serve our customers. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or similar characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
BIC is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any team member at BIC via email, or directly to a BIC team member in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of BIC, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by BIC as a result of the referral or through other means.