- Johannesburg, South Africa
BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability, and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
The incumbent will be required to set up and operate machine tools such as conventional lathes, milling machines, boring machines and grinders, to machine metallic and non-metallic work pieces and spare parts according to drawings or samples provided by the company’s engineering department.
DUTIES AND TASKS
- Machine parts to specification through the use of the machine tools such as milling machines, conventional lathes, shapers and grinders.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as Vernier’s and micrometers.
- Measure examine and test completed machine parts to detect defects and conformance
- Setup adjust and operate all of the basic machine tools, specialized or advanced tools to perform precision machining.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories and materials into machines.
- Determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products through the use of drawings or samples provided by engineering.
- Lay out measure and mark, metal and non-metal stock for machining
- Maintain work shop machinery, clean and lubricate machines, tools and equipment in order to remove grease, rust , stains and foreign matter.
- Confer with engineering, supervisors and manufacturing personnel in order to exchange technical information.
- Fit and assemble parts made
- Prepare working sketches for illustration of the parts to be made.
- Assist with projects tasked to the engineering team.
- The incumbent will consider quality as a key requisite for all work done and will ensure all parts are made to the highest possible standard.
Safety and housekeeping:
- It is the responsibility of the incumbent to identify, prevent and where possible remove hazards in the work area. In addition, he will ensure that the areas around all machines and equipment are kept clean and tidy at all times. The incumbent must adhere to all safety standards and comply with all safety programs launched within the organization. He will report all health and safety concerns to his immediate manager or health and safety representative.
- Maintain good working relations with his colleagues, all the operatives in his work areas and all persons he may have to deal with during the course of a day.
- 5 years’ experience in a machine shop environment operating machine tools such as conventional lathes and conventional milling machines.
- Technical qualification is compulsory. National certificate: Trade tested fitting and turning qualification.
BIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly commit to hiring people with different backgrounds and experiences to help us build better products, make better decisions, and better serve our customers. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or similar characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
BIC is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any team member at BIC via email, or directly to a BIC team member in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of BIC, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by BIC as a result of the referral or through other means.