Legal Counsel – Commercial
- Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
The Legal Counsel position delivers timely, independent and practical advice and counsel primarily to BIC’s U.S. and Canada business teams in support of a variety of commercial transactions by reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial agreements; evaluating and providing advice regarding marketing, advertising and promotional programs; and providing data and privacy subject matter expertise.
This position has responsibility for evaluating legal risks and advising the company to protect against liabilities while helping to drive the business.
- Review, draft, and negotiate various types of commercial agreements to facilitate sales and marketing programs and to support the overall business operations.
- Review, analyze and provide counsel to the U.S. and Canada marketing teams regarding product claim substantiation, complex promotions and cosmetics labeling.
- Collaborate with and oversee the work of the North America paralegals product regarding packaging & labeling requirements, marketing promotions and activations including contests, sweepstakes, influencers, experiential tours, coupons, rebates, brand and ecommerce websites and mobile applications.
- Provide counsel and support on various data privacy matters including GDPR, CCPA and various other data privacy issues to ensure company complies with applicable regulations.
- Legal Counsel will also have responsibility for import/export matters.
- People Development: Assist in the development of and provide coaching to paralegals; provide training for clients and prepare and update client reference guides and materials
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) and member of Connecticut and/or other state bar in good standing; without admission in Connecticut must be eligible to register as Connecticut Authorized House Counsel.
- 5-7 years practicing commercial & marketing law in an in-house or law firm setting with significant experience drafting and negotiating agreements.
- This position requires excellent written and oral communication skills; strong contract review, drafting and negotiation skills; effective interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to take on significant responsibilities and work well under pressure and on multiple projects. This position must possess an appreciation of business objectives and challenges and the ability to clearly translate legal terms to effectively communicate the legal issues that affect business opportunities. Continuing education will be necessary in relevant areas of data privacy & cybersecurity, social media, advertising, promotion and marketing laws. Some travel (including international) required.
Apply Today! There's never been a better time to join BIC. We're a dynamic company with a strong vision. You will find a wealth of possibilities in a challenging and rewarding work environment. As an organization, we have a passion for taking care of our people, and our benefits reflect this. Join BIC and let’s invent our future, together!
BIC Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law