Legal Counsel – Marketing
- Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
The Legal Counsel position delivers timely, independent and practical advice and counsel to BIC’s U.S., Canada and Global Lighter teams regarding marketing, advertising and promotional matters, including packaging & labeling, claim substantiation, sweepstakes, contest, promotion design and compliance. This position is responsible for drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad range of commercial agreements in support of the business including those relating to sales, marketing & advertising, content licensing and influencers.
The Legal Counsel also has U.S. and Canada brand IP responsibilities including advising clients and cross-functional teams on trademark and copyright aspects of commercial transactions and business strategies.
This position has responsibility for evaluating legal risks and advising the company to protect against liabilities while helping to drive the business as well as analyzing and providing strategic guidance to the internal teams regarding the business impacts and opportunities arising from various emerging laws and regulations including those impacting alternative markets.
Review, analyze and provide counsel to the U.S. and Canada Lighter teams regarding product packaging, marketing promotions and activations (e.g., packaging & labeling requirements, promotional videos, contests, sweepstakes, influencers, experiential tours, coupons, rebates, product claims, brand and ecommerce websites and mobile applications). Review and provide timely and practical guidance relating to promotion concepts, creative and all forms of external advertising (e.g. print, digital and social media posts).
- Draft and negotiate brand license agreements for use of third-party brands and designs in connection with BIC’s products and provide strategic advice to internal business clients on building and managing the brand licensing program.
- Review, draft, and negotiate various types of commercial agreements for the Lighter Business Unit to facilitate sales and marketing programs and to drive business while simultaneously protecting the company’s interests and brand. These commercial agreements include brand license agreements, agreements for various sales and marketing programs, vendor and service agreements.
- Advise the business on all matters relating to copyrights and trademarks including trade dress.
- Collaborate with and oversee the work of the North America trademark paralegal to clear trademarks for use; review and analyze trademark searches; prepare trademark applications and draft responses to office actions, cancellations and similar proceedings; develop evidence of use and obtain registrations and renewals of trademarks and manage the North America trademark portfolio in consultation with the Global trademark team.
- Evaluate, handle in-house and manage outside vendors in brand protection and trademark enforcement activities including cease and desist letters, e-commerce and social media platform take-down requests, URDP’s and other URL proceedings and counterfeit actions in coordination with the Global trademark team.
- Conduct/prepare trademark diligence for acquisitions and divestitures.
- Analyze, inform and provide strategic guidance to the internal teams regarding the business impacts and opportunities arising from various emerging laws and regulations including those impacting alternative market channels and the legalization of cannabis.
- People Development: Assist in the development of and provide coaching to paralegals; provide training for clients and prepare and update client reference guides and materials.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) and member of Connecticut and/or other state bar in good standing.
- 3-5 years practicing trademark & marketing law in an in-house or law firm setting with significant experience drafting and negotiating agreements.
- This position requires excellent written and oral communication skills; strong contract review, drafting and negotiation skills; effective interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to take on significant responsibilities and work well under pressure and on multiple projects. This position must possess an appreciation of business objectives and challenges and the ability to clearly translate legal terms to effectively communicate the legal issues that affect business opportunities. Continuing education will be necessary in relevant areas of trademarks, social media, advertising, promotion and marketing laws, regulations, government guidelines and emerging laws and regulations that impact the business including the legalization of cannabis. Some travel (including international) required.
Apply Today! There's never been a better time to join BIC. We're a dynamic company with a strong vision. You will find a wealth of possibilities in a challenging and rewarding work environment. As an organization, we have a passion for taking care of our people, and our benefits reflect this. Join BIC and let’s invent our future, together!
BIC Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law