Group Insights & Innovation Legal Director
- Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are known and appreciated all over the world for their quality, their affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, the one-piece shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® one of the best known international brands, present in 3.2 million retail outlets, in more than 160 countries. As we explore the tremendous opportunities ahead, we have a need for dedicated and dynamic employees to help build our team.
We are looking for our new Group Insights & Innovation Legal Director. In that role, you will be in charge of various areas such as:
-Strengthen, protect, risk manage and facilitate BIC Innovation & Product Development through legal expertise and strategic advice.
-Lead the legal team members with the expertise, business orientation and business partnership to support Innovation & Product Development (contracting, marketing and digital legal services, compliance), product & brand development / management, who are fully integrated with the innovation process lifecycle from ideation through conception to product launch and beyond to deliver exceptional products and innovation to our consumers.
In that context, your responsabilities will be focusing on:
Develop and execute an overall legal strategy that is aligned with GI&I business strategy and the critical priorities by region/continent. Member of GI&I Leadership Team.
Provide ongoing strategic advice to Category management team in support of business initiatives. Anticipate issues and estimate risks. Identify proactive risk mitigation solution.
Lead the Category Legal team in delivering excellence in operational legal support and solutions with a strong business orientation to deliver strategic, tactical and operational results.
Leverage our network of internal lawyers at the continent/country level and ensure alignment with continent legal teams for the local implementation of Category priorities in the continents.
Coordinate legal advice and legal decision making from relevant countries/continent legal teams and external counsel.
Manage commercial transactions such as M&A activity, strategic partnerships, procurement and service provider contracts for GI&I functions.
Provide strategic advice and practical solutions and options to Category Marketing for developing and implementing product messaging and claims that provide a competitive advantage in the local markets. Coordinate with continent legal for competitive product claims disputes and litigation.
Collaborate with IP team on IP-related litigation.
Partner with Brand Development team to develop, build and protect a strong and diverse portfolio of brands.
Ensure appropriate resources, processes are in place for product regulatory compliance and that Category functions are well versed in applicable regulations.
- Strategic thinking: capable of providing clear and balanced support on a broad range of strategic and complex management, and product issues.
- Driving results: solutions and results-oriented style with a high degree of analytical ability and proven problem-solving skills.
- Leading change: ability to thrive and quickly adapt to change, leading others through change in a dynamic, fast-paced industry and work environment.
- Collaborating and influencing: effectively builds strong relationships and partnerships within and outside of the company. Able to effectively navigate within a matrixed corporate structure.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization with an open, honest and direct communication style that establishes an empathetic and effective relationship with front-line and mid-level personnel.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in licensing/IP practice in industry
- Previous experience working with manufacturing and technical operations a plus
- Experience with negotiating and documenting licensing/IP transactions and/or dispute settlements
- Strong understanding of global and European / US IP and commercial laws
- Ability to convey and discuss intellectual property concepts in well-reasoned, understandable terms and to establish, manage and leverage relationships with internal and external partners
- English mandatory, French a plus
- Common law degree appreciated
Position opened in Clichy (FRANCE) and Shelton (USA)