Senior Manager, Data Science & Analytics
- Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
The Data Scientist Senior Manager (DSSM) provides leadership and support in using advanced analytics to provide insights, automate business actions, and improve the speed and quality of decisions across the Market and Consumer Intelligence (M&CI) department.
This position provides expertise in predictive and prescriptive statistical modeling, including: standards and processes to prepare and explore data; design, build, and implement models; and evaluate and report model performance.
The DSSM will recruit and lead a team of talented data scientists/engineers and engage the rest of the M&CI functions, in accordance with the organization’s analytical needs and business objectives.
The Market & Consumer Insights team operates as the center of excellence on actionable consumer /user insights in the areas of Market Research (Business analytics and opportunities), consumer / shopper Behavioral Research (purchase habits) and User Research (user perception & attitudes). The DSSM will play a pivotal for in the sourcing, processing and extraction of insights and support engagement and reporting of all M&CI stakeholders. Furthermore, the DSSM will collaborate closely with the organization’s IT department to ensure development alignment with the IT infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will have experience or background in computer and data science, with experience in staffing, developing and managing a group of experts in data processing, data science and computing infrastructure for the extraction of insights.
- Hire, coach and lead the team of data scientist and data analysts
- Develop and implement the group data science strategy. Communicate strategy and analytic results in an actionable and non-technical manner to department leaders
- Establish and document modeling standards and processes, including: identify and define problem, and design approach; prepare, explore, transform, and select data; build, validate, and deploy model; and monitor and evaluate results
- Drive BIC to assisted and predictive decision-making. The future is about assisted decision-making with machines (AI/Machine Learning) unlocking the insights from vast deluge of consumer, customer & internal data, and presenting this in a way that is simple for our teams.
- Handle complex structured and unstructured data sets from internal and external sources. Create and support models
- Collaborate with Marketing, Innovation and product design teams in data management and extraction of insights
- Partner with Digital Business, IT, and external suppliers to ensure the company’s data science needs are met and issue are resolved
- Drive data quality throughout the company
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s/Advanced degree preferred) in computer science, engineering, statistics, quantitative psychology, math, economics/econometrics or other quantitative decision sciences
- 7+ years of progressive experience in data science and modeling, including use of structured and unstructured data (preferably in a business setup)
- 3+ years of experience working in a fast-moving consumer goods company and/or data – analytic supplier (e.g. Nielsen, IRI, or other related companies)
- 3+ years of experience leading team of data scientists and a track record of developing teams to produce successful data science solutions that deliver significant business outcomes/benefit
- Experience managing internal and external resources including remote locations
- Experience with analytics software tools or languages (R, Python, etc.) and machine learning techniques
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Azure and scaling analytic products in the cloud
- Working knowledge in visualization platforms and customization (Power BI, Tableau etc)
- Highly analytical with a strong grasp of modern statistical methods
- Strong interpersonal skills, written / verbal communication skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills: able to explain Analytics in non-technical terms to business users and other diverse audiences
- Experience with full lifecycle data science projects
Apply Today! There's never been a better time to join BIC. We're a dynamic company with a strong vision. You will find a wealth of possibilities in a challenging and rewarding work environment. As an organization, we have a passion for taking care of our people, and our benefits reflect this. Join BIC and let’s invent our future, together!
BIC Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.