Injection Molding Machinist - 1st shift (must be able to train on off shifts)
- Gaffney, SC, USA
BIC® products are known and appreciated all over the world for their quality, their affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, the one-piece shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® one of the best known international brands, present in 3.2 million retail outlets, in more than 160 countries.
As we explore the tremendous opportunities ahead, we have a need for dedicated and dynamic employees to help build our team. With a strong commitment to encouraging future and current team members to “Unlock the Best You!” the BIC People Promise reinforces the principle that people are at the heart of its business success. BIC is committed to its team members and to the promise of helping them unlock their full potential.
The Toolmaker supports the BIC Gaffney team by fabricating, modifying, inspecting, and repairing the molds, tools, and assembly machine parts utilized in production and in the tool room. This role also collaborates with the Production team to ensure the efficient production of our Stationery products through accurate creation and maintenance of precision tools, as needed by the team.
- Set up and operate tool room equipment proficiently and safely, including, but not limited to, milling machines, grinders, drill presses, welding equipment, and lathes
- Read CAD drawings/part prints and work orders to assemble tools and molds for production
- Prepare and make modifications to plant molds and assembly machine punches for preventive maintenance purposes
- Regularly inspect and conduct tests on completed tools to ensure that parts meet specifications, identifying problem areas and making necessary adjustments
- Perform regular housekeeping activities in the tool room to maintain a safe, clean, and efficient work environment
- Troubleshoot and diagnose molding issues; document these issues for identifying trends
- Recommend new processes to improve tool room work environment
- Any other duties as assigned
- Associate's degree in Machine Tool & Die Technology or related field
- Journeyman Level tradesman possessing an educational background equivalent to a 5-year apprenticeship program
- Experience in lean manufacturing or Six Sigma environment
- Highly motivated self-starter with a “can-do” attitude and a willingness to comply too directives that may fall outside of the range of tasks noted above
- Apprenticeship program completion and/or vocational school certificate (or equivalent experience
- Two (2) or more years of experience in a tool room and/or manufacturing environment
- Proficient in the use of all standard tool room equipment to repair/ fabricate high quality components to exacting tolerances ( +/- .0002”), as required.
- Milling Operations – conventional milling machine setup, speeds & feeds, cutter selection, etc.
- CNC Milling – 2/3-Axis Bridgeport EZ-Trak operations (SurfCam experience a plus).
- Grinding Operations – surface grinder usage, wheel selection, radius dressing, etc.
- Lathe Operations – speeds & feeds, turning, drilling, boring, thread turning, tool selection, etc.
- EDM Operations – basic sinker EDM knowledge, electrode fabrication, etc.
- Welding Operations – general purpose welding, to include TIG/MIG, micro-welding, etc.
- Drilling Operations – speeds & feeds, drill selection, etc.
- Precision Measurement Operations – possess general surface plate set-up, instrument usage and precision measurement experience.
- Heat Treatment Operations – hardening & tempering of tool steels.
- Experience with precise multi-cavity injection molding operations to include full disassembly, maintenance, re-assembly and the ability to trouble-shoot and diagnose molding problems
- Interest in cross-functional training and willingness to participate in the efficient trouble-shooting of assembly machines and basic knowledge of product line types
- Adherence to General Tool Room practices:
- Safety – follow all Tool Room safety procedures.
- Housekeeping – maintain a clean working environment.
- Meetings – attend and participate in Tool Room/Plant meetings as required.
- Documentation – complete all necessary paperwork on time in a neat and thorough manner.
- Expertise in close tolerance machining and use of various measuring tools
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and analytical thinking
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong hand-eye coordination
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Apply Today! There's never been a better time to join BIC. We're a dynamic company with a strong vision. You will find a wealth of possibilities in a challenging and rewarding work environment. As an organization, we have a passion for taking care of our people, and our benefits reflect this. Join BIC and let’s invent our future, together!
BIC Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.