Operations Team Manager
- 206 E Division St, Mt. Juliet, TN 37122, USA
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 32,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2020 were $7.0 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
Avery Dennison is seeking an Operations Team Manager, where you will maintain and improve the safety, quality, service, cost and culture on the shift you are assigned. You will provide direct supervision of up to 20 Coating and Finishing operators assigned to your designated shift. The position requires good communication skills with a diverse workforce and other members of the production leadership team, the ability to prioritize work, a sense of urgency to solve problems, and the ability to make timely and effective decisions to resolve any issues that prevent the company from meeting its goals and objectives. This is a highly visible role located in Mt. Juliet, TN, reporting to the Operations Manager. Being skilled as a dynamic team player with Lean Manufacturing experience and the ability to rally and empower people will be strongly preferred.
Avery Dennison offers a wide range of benefits including health, life, dental, and vision insurance, plus 401(k) matching, a vacation program, and flexible work arrangements.
We are currently hiring three (3) positions, one to cover each of the following shifts: 1st Shift (7:45 AM - 5:15 PM), 2nd Shift (3:45 PM - 12:15 AM), and 3rd Shift (11:45 PM - 8:15 AM).
In this important role you will be responsible for:
- Running Employee Performance And Development
- Conduct performance reviews with employees and set development and training plans
- Detailing and conducting disciplinary action
- Ensure employees have vital skills and schedule training as necessary to fill gaps
- Handle cross-training plans for team members to increase flexibility and capability of team members
- Establish succession plans for key roles within the shift
- Supervise attendance records, vacation schedules and payroll
- Ensure consistent application of policies
- Participate in employee selection and hiring
2. Drive Continuous Improvement
- Lead MDI process including facilitating Tier reviews, updating metrics and driving daily improvement actions for safety, cost, losses, quality and efficiency
- Identify and lead safety improvement initiatives with support of team
- Identify cost reduction opportunities
- Communicate and implement Corrective Actions resulting from customer complaints and internally found opportunities
- Find opportunities to optimize allocation of resources and labor
- Communicate cross functionally and with other shifts to maintain optimum safety, efficiency and quality
- Participate in ELS events including 5S, Kaizen, problem solving and blitzes
- As member of the manufacturing leadership team: develop, supervise and improve department metrics
3. Provide Direction During The Shift
- Minimum of 50% of the shift spent on the manufacturing floor
- Assign operators to machines, handle break schedule
- Resolve conflicts and issues that arise to include but not limited to production, staffing, and quality; prioritize as vital
- Coordinate and advise the troubleshooting of a variety of technical problems with assistance from tooling, maintenance, distribution and other functional areas as needed
- Provide leadership in times of emergency, evacuation or employee injuries
4. Routine Responsibilities
- Facilitate investigation process and complete reporting for any incidents on your shift
- Conduct audits on shift employee performance including routine tasks required by operators
- Perform shift leader responsibilities as outlined within EHS and PSM procedures (e.g., Emergency Response, Hot Work, Line Break, etc.)
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Have the ability to work with people to achieve objectives and build a teamwork atmosphere.
- Bachelor Degree
- Supervising in a manufacturing operation including safety, performance management, training and development, timekeeping/payroll issues and mentoring.
- Experience within manufacturing, ISO 9000, TS 16949, Lean or Six Sigma.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you require accommodations to view or apply for a job, alternative methods are available to submit an application. Please contact 440.534.6080 or [email protected] to discuss reasonable accommodations.