Coating Team Manager - Day Shift
- 250 Chester St, Painesville, OH 44077, USA
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2020 were $7.0 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
We are looking for Coating Team Manager for our Performance Tapes manufacturing location, where you will maintain and improve the safety, quality, service, cost and culture on the night shift as well as provide direct leadership to finishing operations by supervising day-to-day production and performance of multiple hourly direct reports. To be successful in this role, you will require good communication skills with a diverse workforce and other members of the production leadership team, an ability to prioritize work, a sense of urgency to solve problems, and strength in making timely and effective decisions to resolve any issues that prevent the company from meeting its goals and objectives.
This role is located in Painesville Ohio, reporting to the Coating Operations Manager. This role will work on a 12-hour program from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Company Benefits include (but are not limited to):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Paid time off with holiday and vacation time
- 401k 3% automatic company contribution plus 50% match to employee contributions (up to the first 7% of employee contribution)
- Internal and external training and development opportunities
- Paid tuition assistance
- Casual dress code
- Paid Parental Leave for both parents
1. Employee Development and People Management
- Lead daily activities of about 15-20 team members including mentoring, counseling and corrective action processes. Conduct regular performance reviews with team members and incorporate meaningful feedback on their performance and personal development.
- Review department proficiencies and craft training plans to develop knowledge base of the team
- Establish development and succession plans for key roles within the shift
- Monitor attendance records, vacation schedules, and payroll
- Ensure consistent application of policies
- Participate in recruiting activities for open roles including interviewing, providing feedback to candidates, onboarding, etc.
- Provide direction and leadership in times of emergency, evacuation or employee injuries
2. Operations Management
- Minimum of 50% of the shift spent on the manufacturing floor.
- Facilitation of department Tier I reviews, updating metrics and driving daily improvement actions for safety, cost, losses, quality and efficiency.
- Develop, track and improve department metrics and provide updates to Operations Manager.
- Drive Safety culture and performance by instilling safety as a value into the teams and individuals. Perform Safety audits and mentor team members for compliance with company policies and safe practices. Ensure that all associates perform their jobs in a safe manner aligning with company safety standards and safety policies. Investigate and report all accidents and near misses that occur.
- Drive the identification of root causes and countermeasures for department performance i.e. downtime and delay, quality defects, losses, etc.
- Resolve conflicts and issues that arise to include but not limited to production, staffing, and quality; allocate resources as necessary
- Maintain and encourage Good Housekeeping Standards within the department and conduct 5S audits
- Support the efforts of and effectively collaborate with the Maintenance, Quality & Process Engineering Teams
- Assure accuracy of shift production reports and other batch documentation.
- Communicate downtime issues to plant management, maintenance, shift management and oncoming shift management
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Able to work 12 hour program and on weekends.
- Have the ability to work with people to achieve objectives and build a teamwork atmosphere.
- Ability to troubleshoot and effectively problem-solve issues and implement solutions to prevent recurring problems
- Demonstrated leadership skills: ability to achieve operational results through delegation and teamwork while gaining / maintaining respect from all levels of the organization.
- Effective communication skills, interpersonal skills, and presentation skills.
- Bachelor Degree
- Experience supervising in a manufacturing operation including safety, performance management, mentoring, training and development, timekeeping/payroll issues and mentoring, etc.
- Experience within manufacturing, ISO 9000, TS 16949, Lean or Six Sigma
- Demonstrated record of successfully implementing and sustaining improvement actions on the production floor.
- Demonstrated effective project management skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you require accommodations to view or apply for a job, alternative methods are available to submit an application. Please contact 440.534.6080 or [email protected] to discuss reasonable accommodations.