Adhesive Research Scientist
- 171 Draketown Rd, Mill Hall, PA 17751, USA
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2020 were $7.0 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
Avery Dennison is seeking a dynamic individual to join the Polymers, Adhesive and Coatings Center of Excellence (PACE). The Research scientist will advance the organization with new or continuation of technology platform development, feasibility studies, assessment of new chemistries, technical troubleshooting of adhesive and coatings and development of new products and concepts.
We are searching for someone that will offer technical leadership to PACE and Technology organizations via coordination and execution of platform activities within the PACE team in collaboration with the regional R&D, operations, and business teams.
We need someone who has experience engaging with cross-functional teams and is comfortable and driven to work independently towards business and organizational needs. We are also looking for someone to come with a growth mindset and bring new and evolving ideas!
- Develop new to the industry or new to Avery Dennison technology to enable carrier free pressure sensitive adhesive development.
- Contribute to and develop ongoing base understanding of carrier free pressure sensitive adhesive technology including rubber based hotmelts, acrylics and polyesters.
- Collaborate with Avery Dennison global community in the area of carrier free adhesive development, and strategy deployment.
- Lead project teams doing platform research and also research driven by business needs. Develop and implement comprehensive technical project plans. Determine resources, actions and timelines for projects.
- Make recommendations to R&D and business leadership and report out on platform progress.
- Conduct hands-on experiments and associated polymer/adhesive characterizations.
- Supervise and coach technician and lab support colleagues.
- Collaborate with corporate intellectual property counsel regarding right to market, patent applications and office actions. Assist other scientists in patent activities and filings.
- Expand core technology through careful study of the literature, new scientific discovery, external development and development of intellectual property.
- Transfer knowledge to fellow scientists via presentations, technical reports and day-to-day interaction.
- Design and/or synthesis of pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA) or coatings via 100% solids techniques.
- Develop working mastery of synthetic approaches for carrier free, water and solvent borne adhesive systems.
- Maintaining an accurate electronic lab notebook and records.
- Actively participate in process safety management and employee safety programs and help drive continuous improvement.
- BS or MS with 7+ years experience, or PhD in the field of Chemistry or Polymer Science.
- Demonstration of high level of mastery of polymer chemistry and design understanding.
- Proven track record of commitment to safety culture and laboratory best practices.
- End user or business experience in the use of PSA's in the label, tape or graphics industries.
- 100% solids adhesive or polymer compounding and formulation experience.
- Understanding of renewable/recyclable resources and industrial processes for recycling, or Green chemistries.
- Detailed knowledge of rheological characterization and analytical/applications testing of soft matter such as pressure sensitive adhesives.
- Demonstrated knowledge in using statistical design of experiments.
- Synthesis and formulation experience in complementary chemistries and technologies such as urethanes, silicones, epoxies, hotmelt glues,and radiation curing a plus.
- Proven skill in leading cross-functional teams comprised of R&D, operations, commercial, and customer team members.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Well-developed time management skills with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to foster creativity/innovation while ensuring project progress and lab efficiency.
- Experience with laboratory safety, chemical hazards and full understanding Safety Data Sheets.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage changing priorities.
- Willingness to travel 10-20% of time.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you require accommodations to view or apply for a job, alternative methods are available to submit an application. Please contact 440.534.6080 or [email protected] to discuss reasonable accommodations.