- Willem Einthovenstraat 11, 2342 BG Oegstgeest, Netherlands
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in over 50 countries. Reported sales in 2019 were $7.1 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
Avery Dennison is an equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
Innovative solutions from Avery Dennison are developed and driven by a truly passionate R&D department. Our scientists’ in-depth knowledge and skills are the foundation for many cutting edge adhesive technologies and materials - for solutions that inspire packaging trends across industries and around the globe.
We invest constantly in scientific research, product development and innovative design. It means we do our part for a sustainable future and enable branding that solves our customers' diverse challenges around the world. A spirit of curiosity, and a determination to meet new challenges in the marketplace have helped Avery Dennison to become a global leader in the materials science industry.
To continue our success we're looking for a Lab Manager to manage our Application and Analytical labs within our LGM business at our European Headquarters in Oegstgeest, the Netherlands. In this dynamic role you will manage a team of nine Analytical Specialists and Technologists and you will initiate, manage and advise on projects aligned with our Business, Innovation and Sustainability strategies.
The Lab Manager reports to our Vice President R&D, LGM-EU, she is stationed at our European Headquarters as well
- Conduct routine and non-routine analyses to solve challenging problems in the fields of chemistry, material science, and engineering that are important to Avery Dennison; characterising and investigating materials within a highly multidisciplinary approach to problem solving
- Create, and deliver on, regional strategies for the Analytical team focused on innovation, cost reduction, differentiation, and competitive advantage
- Identify new opportunities for Growth, Re-engineering and Business continuity and support programs from ideation to implementation to achieve the desired results
- Provide and maintain a safe work environment (leading the site safety committee), including managing Chemical safety for multiple locations
- People development: Train and provide development opportunities and positively lead & influence team members, as well as perform general management duties
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills with an ability to communicate at all levels, showing self drive and determination to succeed.
- Education on academic level preferably in the field of Materials Science, Chemistry, Polymer Science (or a closely related field). PHD preferred.
- 5+ years analysis, research, scientific or related experience, preferably with management experience
- Proven specialism and experience in solving challenging problems in at least 2 analytical fields, to include chromatography, spectroscopy or rheology
- Preferably experience of characterizing polymeric coatings/ films and of working at the interface of physical and chemical sciences
- Demonstrated success in cross-functional project management on a global/European scale.
- Excellent command of English (spoken as well as written).
- ISO experience required, six sigma and lean manufacturing experience preferred
The successful applicant must be authorized to work in the EU
At Avery Dennison we do what we love and we love what we do.