Variable Data Specialist
- 1-2-20 Kaigan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0022 Japan, Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global leader in pressure-sensitive and functional materials and labeling solutions for the retail apparel market. The company's applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major industry. With operations in more than 50 countries and more than 25,000 employees worldwide, Avery Dennison serves customers in the consumer packaging, graphical display, logistics, apparel, industrial and healthcare industries. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company reported sales of $6.1 billion in 2016. Learn more at www.averydennison.com
About Your Role
The Variable Data Specialist (VDS) manages our customers’ variable data for printed labeling. Examples include price tags containing data such as item prices, sizes, and bar codes as well as care and content labels – either printing and shipping to the customer or enabling the customer to print themselves. This process requires taking data from our customers’ IT systems and integrating it into Avery Dennison’s software solutions, which enable the variable data (prices, sizes, etc.) to print correctly on tags and labels. The process includes collaboration with Sales forming the general strategy, conducting software demos as needed, and serving as the customer-facing variable data expert. Once an opportunity has been identified that will require variable data and/or online ordering, the VDS engages directly with the customer to analyse their existing business data systems and take the technical steps to map and integrate the customer's’ data into the Avery Dennison system/software. This role analyses how data (prices, sizes, etc.) is input into the customer's’ system, what it means while in their system, and how we can map the data into Avery Dennison’s systems to enable printing.
● Function as a primary and direct point of contact for retailers and brand owners building relationships and providing business analysis for development needs related to variable data products, online ordering solutions and in-plant printing.
● Provide ongoing consultation and direction to the customer concerning variable data, online solutions and in-plant printing.
● Handle programme change requests, investigate and resolve customer issues through use of systems or communication with production sites and various support teams
● Prepare project plan to co-ordinate the activities with the customer as well as Avery Dennison internal IT teams to establish data transfer and/or successfully deploy online ordering and in-plant printing solutions.
● Prepare Statement of Work hosting functional and data requirements for programme design, schedule, and implementation
● Attend and lead calls with development teams to ensure all requirements are understood and fulfilled
● Co-ordinate and prepare test plan supporting ordering solution
● Ensure functional and data requirements needs are met by performing end to end testing which may include final User Acceptance Test (UAT) with customer
● Collaborate with Commercial and internal product development teams to ensure artwork and variable data requirements are fully captured
● Collaborate with Operations teams and provide training to enable effective roll out and ongoing troubleshooting to resolve issues
● Provide feedback and drive continuous improvement
● Strong interest in information technology solutions and data analysis including good knowledge of spreadsheet software and database creation.
● Ability to establish and maintain strong customer relationships
● Strong commercial acumen and strategic thinking
● Able to provide coaching and provide training/guidance to others
● Demonstrated ability to be highly organised while managing multiple projects to completion against tight deadlines
● Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, investigative mindset and a keenness to resolve and find the cause of problems
● Highly effective oral and written communication and presentation skills with both internal and external customers
● 3+ years of experience in data analysis, system integration or B2B customer service preferred
● Knowledge of the retail, apparel or label industries
● Self motivated and able to work independently under own initiative
● Basic understanding of IT programming or data structure analysis and systems integration would be beneficial, as this role works with IT Programmers
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent knowledge gained through training and experience
● Fluent in English
● Willingness to be flexible towards working hours and occasional off-site travel.