Dean and College Counselor, Grades 10-12
- Job Group: Administration
- Work Location: Shenzhen, China
- Campus: Shenzhen
- Division: Secondary Division
Start Date: August 2024
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Shenzhen opened in Fall 2019. It serves nearly 600 students in all grades from toddler through 12th, and will continue to grow substantially in enrollment in coming years. Suffused with light, surrounded by greenery and seamlessly integrating technology, the campus is an urban oasis where architecture inspires learning and curiosity. The curriculum features language immersion, learning through play and interdisciplinary study in a state-of-the-art facility.
Avenues' cutting-edge education makes our graduates compelling applicants for selective postsecondary pursuits. In grades 10-12, deans guide students' college process, guiding graduates on to well-chosen, desirable, and selective post-secondary pursuits. A dean is a leader (also mentor, cheerleader, confidant, and occasional tough-love-giver) who supports students' wellbeing, partners with their families and supports their journey to what's next. This comprehensive approach allows for a deeper understanding of each student, a personalized experience and trusting partnerships between school and families. Above all, deans build powerful, lasting relationships with students that extend for years during, and then beyond, their time at Avenues. As an Avenues dean and college counselor, you will:
What Will You Do?
As a dean and college counselor at Avenues Shenzhen, you will:
Guide students to well-chosen, great-fit, selective pursuits after high school
- Expertly guide the entire college process, leading to students (beginning with our second-ever graduating class) wisely choosing desirable, selective post-secondary pursuits where they'll thrive
- Ensure students and families feel well informed and prepared for the college process
- Anchor the college process in powerful relationships with students and their families
Foster students' wellbeing, through powerful relationships and mentoring
- Be a key mentor and supporter in the life of each of your students
- Be an effective support system around the diverse challenges students encounter during high school
- Ensure that Avenues effectively supports each student to thrive, following through with colleagues and families to best support each unique individual
- Teach an advisory curriculum focused on holistic preparation for postsecondary success
Contribute to a dynamic, collaborative team
- Enthusiastically contribute to a dean's team dedicated to ensuring that every Avenues student thrives
- Be a resourceful and collaborative colleague, partnering with faculty, student support, division leaders, and families on students' success, growth and happiness
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
If this role is for you, you'll read what's below and feel, "that's me!"
- You love and respect teenagers. You feel deeply passionate about supporting them to learn, grow and thrive as people
- You're driven by building powerful, lasting relationships with students and embedding holistic college counseling in those relationships
- You believe that going to college should be about finding a right fit for each individual student
- You have several years of experience in college counseling and/or admissions; experience in China/with Chinese students highly preferred
- You communicate in lucid, compelling ways with a high level of accountability and responsiveness
- You navigate difficult conversations with grace and empathy
- You effectively handle multiple priorities in a fast-moving environment
Please read first about Avenues The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: https://www.avenues.org/sz/. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.