Scribe (Real-Time Text Corrector) - REMOTE WORK
- 1355 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
We want to radically improve how we humans communicate with each other. Our first step at Ava is to empower 450M deaf and hard-of-hearing people to live in a fully accessible world.
Every day, millions of people are excluded from conversations because they cannot hear what others say well. Our CEO Thibault grew up in a Deaf family & witnessed firsthand how the world was not accessible for them. Together with our CTO Skinner — deaf since age 2 — Thibault co-founded Ava to make live captioning of conversations as easy as turning on captions on TV.
Our small but fast-growing team has reinvented AI-based speech recognition technology to be in service of people who need it the most. We dream of a 24/7 accessible world, without any communication barrier.
Work flexibly from home, help make the world a better place.
Typical Scribes at Ava:
- Work from home 10-15 hrs/week, on their computer for 1h-2h sessions at a time within the 6 AM-6 PM PST hours, during weekdays
- Are always on-time for our missions and quite reactive on their emails (we often give a 24-hr heads-up)
- Are paid a competitive hourly wage
- Are truly excited to be making the world a better place
Sounds good to you? Read more!
Ava is building a more inclusive world
Ava is a start-up that empowers millions of deaf and hard of hearing people better communicate and connect with the people around them by providing them real-time transcription in their classroom lectures and work meetings.
Humans and Machines work together.
To deliver a perfect transcription of these conversations, Ava combines artificial intelligence (voice-to-text) and human intelligence (the Scribe team).
Scribe connects on their laptop at the meeting time and carefully listens to the live conversation an Ava user is having and corrects quickly any error made by the automated transcription: this makes 99% accurate captions possible.
You could join the Scribe team if you are all of these:
- You type quickly and accurately on your keyboard. (Test if you can type word per minute here: https://www.keyhero.com/free-typing-test/)
- You are savvy with technology and familiar using computers.
- You have worked remotely before (6+ months), have a good Wifi connection and silence at home
- You are used to proactive and clear communication with people
- You are a reliable person: if you commit to a time to Scribe, a deaf/hard-of-hearing Ava user counts on you!
Know that we will consider you in priority if you also:
A) Have experience in the following: transcription of audio, translation, subtitling, proofreading, captioning.
B) Are happy to train ~4 hours to become a Scribe, to start and are happy to begin training with a few hours a week.
So make sure to mention this!
Please include the answers to the following questions in your cover letter with your application.
- What's the best word per minute (wpm) and accuracy percentage you scored on this typing test (3 tries max)? https://www.keyhero.com/free-typing-test/
- Are you available Mon-Fri 6AM-6PM PST? How many hours would you be available to work with us next week?
- Have you ever worked remotely for 6-months or more? How did you like it?
- Have you ever done transcription work before? If so, for what company and for how long?
- Write 10 adjectives that best describe you socially and professionally.
- What's the latest book you've read and your favorite thing about it?
- What's your favorite digital tool and why?
- Roughly how many meetings have you had to reschedule in the last 3 months? (We're not at 0 ourselves :))
- Why are you interested in working for Ava?
- How did you hear about us? (article, friend, job site, etc.)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.