Building and Maintenance Manager
- 4841 Summer Ave, Memphis, TN 38122, USA
Aurora Collegiate Academy is a college preparatory K– 5th grade public charter school for students across Memphis. Aurora opened in August 2012 with the mission to prepare our students to enter and excel in a rigorous secondary school and eventually in a 4-year college or university.
If you are relentless about seeing disadvantaged students achieve at high levels, this is a chance to build a school that does whatever it takes to ensure college success for all children.
Members of Aurora Collegiate Academy staff will work to prepare students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade with the academic, social, and character foundation necessary to compete in college and beyond. It is the expectation that Aurora staff will teach through our mission, instill our core values, and do ‘whatever it takes’ to provide students with the education they deserve.
The Building and Maintenance Manager is responsible for ensuring Aurora has the most suitable working environment for our students and staff members. Duties vary, but will generally focus on big picture facilities projects, the day-to-day operations of the internal/external building and grounds, related to cleaning, security, health, and space management; all while maintaining a warm and welcoming environment for all stakeholders. The Building and Maintenance Manager will report directly to the Director of Operations.
- No two days are the same, ability to anticipate, prioritize, and respond to student, staff and building needs.
- Creates and maintains a beautiful, safe, and functional space where scholars can learn.
- Prepares school facilities for daily operations (e.g., opening gates and building access doors, disarming security systems, performing minor repairs, etc.), ensuring school facilities are operational and safe for use.
- Secures school facilities and grounds to minimizing property damage, equipment loss, and potential liability to the school district.
- Inspects school facilities for the purpose of ensuring site is suitable for safe operations and maintained in an attractive and clean condition, identifying any repairs that may be necessary due to vandalism, equipment breakage, and weather conditions and problem solving for a solution to repairs.
- Cleans assigned school facilities (e.g., classrooms, offices, gyms, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, grounds, etc.) to maintain a sanitary, safe, and attractive environment as required.
- Responds appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise around the building.
- Arranges furniture, building décor, and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparation for meetings, events, and school programs.
- Lifts up to 30 pounds unassisted for the purpose of lifting equipment necessary to complete assigned tasks. Performs work at heights of up to 12 feet using ladders and/or scaffolding for the purpose of cleaning, changing light bulbs, replacing ceiling tiles, etc.
- Work with external cleaning crew to ensure building is properly cleaned.
- Contact and support external maintenance teams when needed (e.g. HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical).
- Experience working with tools, including hand and electrical tools.
- Ensures proper inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally participates in building coverage by working on Saturdays for special events.
High school diploma or equivalent experience and at least 2-3 years of experience working in building maintenance, preferred in an educational setting. Must be able to legally work in the United States.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Drive and advocate for the mission and vision of the school
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to create and maintain an orderly school
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Self-motivator with the ability to work independently
- Ability to work quickly under pressure
- Knowledge in how to safely handle human fluids
Competitive 12-month salaried position, eligible for health insurance (including family), and the TN Consolidated Retirement System.
Please complete the application and submit an updated resume.
Commitment to Diversity:
Aurora Collegiate Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.