Associate Director of Finance and Event Operations
- Type of employment: Regular full-time
- FLSA Status: Exempt (salaried/teaching/stipend)
- Job Classification: Staff
- Department: The Forum on Workplace Inclusion
Augsburg University has maintained a strong academic reputation defined by excellence in the liberal arts and professional studies since 1869. A safe and welcoming campus in the heart of Minneapolis, Augsburg offers undergraduate and graduate degrees to nearly 3,200 diverse students.
Augsburg’s mission is to educate students to be informed citizens, thoughtful stewards, critical thinkers, and responsible leaders. The Augsburg experience is supported by an engaged community that is committed to intentional diversity in its life and work. An Augsburg education is defined by excellence in the liberal arts and professional studies, guided by the faith and values of the Lutheran church, and shaped by its urban and global settings.
The Forum on Workplace Inclusion is a learning and development organization focusing on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). We are curators of innovative and challenging DEI content and conveners of people who work or are interested in DEI. The Forum’s programming consists of ongoing local, national, and global events including a large annual conference, a smaller fall conference, regular podcasts and webinars, and other events both in person and virtually. We have a strong national brand and a growing international presence. The Forum is hosted at Augsburg University.
Augsburg and The Forum invites individuals who share our mission and commitment to intentional diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging to join our community. In particular, Augsburg invites BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities, women, veterans and those from underrepresented or marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The Forum associate director of finance and event operations reports directly to the executive director, attends and participates in executive committee meetings, and represents, upholds, and strengthens The Forum's brand and reputation. Responsible for all finance functions, relations with university departments, staff and office supervision, and logistics associated with sponsors, exhibitors, volunteers, and onsite conference production. In addition, the assistant director organizes and staffs the logistics committee, a volunteer group.
- Working with the executive director, responsible for creating, managing, and implementing the budget for The Forum. Responsible for the financial integrity of the budget to ensure appropriate expenditures.
- Tracking revenue and expenses to meet a breakeven-to-profit status.
- Reconcile registration system and Forum budget to the university accounting system.
- Working with registrar, responsible for invoicing for all Forum revenue and maintain accounts payable and receivable, including collections as needed.
- Assist Augsburg finance office in processing bank transfer and credit card payments.
- Oversight of Cvent registration program and database.
- In consultation with executive director, negotiate external vendor and presenter contracts. Work with vendors to ensure accurate contract needs, timely delivery of goods and services, and appropriate contractor invoicing and timely payment. Contracts include: AV, business development, decorator, design, collateral, print/media, stage management, marketing, production, strategy, hotel, convention center, coaching, other.
- Oversee payment of all Forum expenses including presenter travel reimbursements.
- Manage sponsor and exhibitor benefits and logistics. Staff and oversee logistics committee (volunteer members), recruit volunteers from internal and external sources and assign and manage volunteer roles and schedules.
- Responsible for packing office, onsite move in, set up, tear down, unpacking of conference materials.
- Coordinate with contractors to manage onsite conference operations including volunteers, registration, Marketplace, convention center and catering.
- Support with recruitment, hiring and training of new forum staff
- Supervise program coordinator, registrar and student worker(s) providing frequent interaction, clear direction and feedback, coaching and staff development; conduct annual performance reviews.
- Manage office equipment and supplies including computers, printers and copiers.
- Serve as a liaison to University departments, including but not limited to: HR, legal, procurement, finance, institutional advancement, physical plant and ITS.
- Oversee current and recommend and develop new policies and procedures as needed.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor(s).
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- A typical work environment is an office, working at a desk for long periods of time.
- Regular computer and phone use.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in finance, budget oversight, and events management.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with budgets, accounts payable/receivable, registration systems
- Minimum two (2) of supervising professional-level staff
- Experience with event logistics and volunteer recruitment
- Diversity and inclusion work experience
- Possess basic arithmetic skills
- General knowledge of best business practices and office management principles
- General knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Google suite
- Experience with Cvent, accounting, conference management, database management
- Attention to detail and organizational abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects with constant
All applicants must attach the following for consideration:
- Cover Letter
Benefits at Augsburg
Augsburg University offers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards program including:
Medical, dental and vision coverage
A generous 403(b) matching program with an employer contributions of up to 8% upon eligibility
Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses and dependents, and participation in the Tuition Exchange program with colleges and universities throughout the US
Generous paid time-off, including 14 paid holidays, 12 sick days, 2 community service days, and vacation of up to 22 days per year immediately upon hire
Employer-paid STD, LTD and life insurance
Enhanced Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for all employees
Augsburg’s Statement regarding COVID-19 Vaccinations
For the safety of our students, employees and the community in which we live and work, Augsburg requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For individuals who are unable to be vaccinated due to religious or medical reasons, Augsburg offers exemptions and accommodations.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Statement
Augsburg is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, or any other protected class.
Augsburg University is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national origin, familial status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status or public assistance status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at phone number: 612-330-1058 or email: [email protected]