IB/AP Math Teacher @ Washburn Rural High School
- 5900 SW 61st St, Topeka, KS 66619, USA
Auburn-Washburn Unified School District 437 is a district consisting of 128 square miles of suburban and rural areas in southwest Topeka and Shawnee county. Presently, we have 13 total attendance centers — one early childhood center, seven elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and two alternative learning centers.
Our schools reflect the commitment to excellence within our community. Above all, we strive for every student to succeed. If academic achievement and student body growth are indicators of success, we are reaching our goal. We consistently rank among the leaders in a variety of test scores including the ACT and SAT, as well as in National Merit Scholarships.
Job Title: Teacher, Mathematics, High School
Reports To: Principal
Auburn-Washburn mathematics educators demonstrate a commitment to learning for all students by maintaining organized, child-centered classrooms, by presenting content-rich and standards-based lessons and activities, by meeting individual needs through the use of assessments and data, and by using a variety of instructional strategies that are reflective of current best practices and research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- · Demonstrates mathematical concepts by using models, chalkboard, overhead projector, calculators, computers, and teacher-prepared instructional aids
- · Designs learning activities that have real application
- · Evaluates each pupil’s progress in mathematical knowledge and skills
- · Modifies teaching to meet individual student needs
- · Communicates high expectations to all learners
- · Seeks, listens, and responds appropriately to suggestions, requests, and concerns
- · Effectively implements the district-adopted curriculum
- · Develops lesson plans by incorporating effective lesson design
- · Uses a variety of research-based instructional practices and current resources that support instructional goals and student needs
- · Models and facilitates higher-order thinking, problem solving, creativity, and flexibility
- · Routinely integrates a variety of informal and formal assessments into instruction
- · Uses a variety of informal and formal assessment data in making instructional decisions
- · Makes students aware of assessment standards/learner expectations
- · Assists students in developing self-assessment skills
- · Maintains up-to-date records of student progress
- · Creates a positive, inviting, and safe learning environment
- · Develops, models, and practices procedures and routines
- · Communicates realistic and consistent expectations for student behavior and applies appropriate consequences
- · Demonstrates conflict resolutions skills
- · Models enthusiasm for learning and teaching
- · Treats students, patrons, and colleagues with dignity and respect
- · Maintains confidentiality
- · Uses monitoring techniques to facilitate learning
- · Shares in the sponsorship of student activities such as mathematic teams and contests
- · Demonstrates knowledge of how subject matter/disciplines are integrated
- · Demonstrates how subject matter is organized
- · Communicates effectively and promotes positive interpersonal relationships
- · Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers
- · Administers group standardized tests in accordance with district testing program
- · Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve effective participation in activities and learning experiences
- · Plans and delivers a program that includes demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and hands-on activities
- · Selects and requests instructional materials
- · Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day
- · Oversees assigned budgets
- · Supports the District’s educational mission for all students and implements all Board regulations and policies in a fair and equitable manner
- · Performs other tasks and assumes other responsibilities as the superintendent or designee may assign
Staff members designated by the Board of Education, superintendent, or immediate supervisor
Start Date: August 4, 2020
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Kansas teaching license required
- Required endorsements
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general educational reports, professional journals, technical procedures, and regulations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups and individuals. Ability to write clearly; keep detailed records; effectively produce reports, letters, and memoranda; and to carry out complex tasks. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and to deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Employee is required to maintain a high standard of professional conduct. Breach of said professional conduct includes, but is not limited to: neglect of duty, dishonesty, engagement in acts that are contrary to district policy, unlawful activities, or any other conduct which is seriously prejudicial to the school system.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is required to interact with staff and to meet demands from several people. The employee is responsible for the work output of others. On occasion, the employee may be required to work extended hours.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Auburn-Washburn Board of Education policies
Terms of Employment
Salary and work year to be established by the Auburn-Washburn Board of Education
Auburn-Washburn USD 437 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Auburn-Washburn USD 437 complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Auburn-Washburn USD 437 expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Auburn-Washburn USD 437’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.