Director of Banquets
- Aspen, CO 81611, USA
- Job category: The Little Nell
- Job Location: The Little Nell Aspen
- Season: Year Round
- Job Classification: Full-Time Regular
The city of Aspen at our front door, Aspen Mountain at our back door. And in between, a gathering place for the free-spirited. We're proud of our 5 Stars and 5 Diamonds -- hospitality is our passion. From our kitchens to our cellars, with their 20,000 bottles of wine, from the Concierges in our lobby to the Concierges on our mountains, and from family adventure to après ski, this hotel is, guests have said, "the Aspen of Aspen."
Manage the activities of the Banquet Department to maintain high standards of food and beverage, service and presentation to maximize profits. Responsible for planning logistics for all meeting, function, and wedding space as well as off-site catering venues. Interact with staff in a fast-paced environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, professional and efficient. Must be exceedingly well organized, flexible and enjoy the challenges of supporting a luxury banquet operation at a five-star level.
Essential Job Functions
• Acts as liaison between client, Event Managers and The Little Nell/Sundeck/Aspen Mountain Club.
• Interacts with VIPs, Ownership and Guests on behalf of the hotel greeting VIPs, handling special requests, etc.
• Create profit plans for maximizing event execution balancing profitability against promotion in order to create return clientele and sales growth.
• Responsible for the general operation of the Banquet department. Specifically responsible for administrative duties to include hiring, scheduling, payroll, accounting, training and motivating staff
• Conduct training and development programs within the department which will provide well trained employees at all levels and permit advancement for those persons qualified and interested in career development
• Responsible for staffing levels at functions within service and labor standards to insure the highest level of guest service while also monitoring labor costs.
• Attend and contribute input to bi-weekly Staff meetings, BEO meetings and weekly F& B meetings
• Oversee table and room set-up, side duties and delivery times of rental equipment
• Complete reports, projects and paperwork and billing timely
• Supervise the care of equipment; minimize waste, breakage and misuse
• Regular communication with Event Managers to ensure guest requests are being met.
• Responsible for budget creation and maintenance
• Maintain a high level of guest satisfaction; make immediate corrective action when necessary
• Maintain professional appearance and conduct at all times and ensure staff appearance is impeccable
• Conduct daily walk through ensuring banquet area is clean and maintained
• Enforce local liquor and sanitation ordinances
• Review banquet event orders; communicate with Director of Events and Executive/Banquet Chef.
• Participate with the chefs, Director of Events and F&B management in the creation of attractive menus and unique offerings designed to attract a luxury customer. Remain up to date on industry trends and recommend supply purchases and process improvements.
• Control banquet liquor cost, secure beverage, maintain accuracy of banquet beverage consumption reports, conducts monthly beverage inventory
• Responsible for the safety and fire procedures, proper handling of staff and equipment
• Responsible for inventory of banquet store room, china, glass, silver, chairs, tables, linens etc.
• Manage effective control of food, beverage and labor costs to achieve predetermined profit objectives
Responsible for assisting all team members in organization of kitchen items, to include, dry goods, kitchen equipment, storage containers, cleaning supplies and proper rotation and organization of all food deliveries.
Additional Job Duties
• Assist in other F&B outlets as needed during high business volumes
• Report to work in a neat groomed and acceptable manner as outlined in the Little Nell Grooming policy
• Enforce and comply with all policies and procedures for the Food and Beverage Department, The Little Nell and the Aspen Skiing Company
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• Minimum 3 years Banquet Manager experience
• 5 years Food and Beverage experience
• Experience in the luxury hospitality industry
• Knowledge of InfoGenesis System or equivalent
• Extensive wine knowledge
• Knowledge of food and cooking methods
• Strong organization and Supervisory skills
• Advanced verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse operation.
Supervision given and received
Given: Exercises general supervision over Banquet Staff. Assigns a variety of routine tasks, sets general expectations of results expected within company’s policies and procedures. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Received: Works under limited supervision of Director of Food & Beverage. Receives continuing or individual assignments according to supervisor’s directions and may perform routine tasks. Expectations of the quality, quantity and deadlines are clearly set. Instructions, advice and assistance available as needed. Work is reviewed on demand or during scheduled check-ins.
Work Environment and physical demands
• Ability to be on your feet, kneel and bend for extended periods of time
• Regularly work in adverse conditions and requiring the use of protective apparel/equipment to prevent exposure to the elements as well as an office environment and may be required to walk on slippery and uneven surfaces
• Must be able to lift, push or pull occasionally up to 50 lbs. individually or with assistance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Aspen Skiing Company is an equal opportunity employer.