- Royal Borough of Greenwich, UK
Back in 1999 before Craft Beer was a ‘thing’ in the UK, Meantime’s founder Alastair Hook started a 20 year labour of love from a flat in Greenwich. All our beers are quality, sessionable beers packed full of flavour that everyone can enjoy. You’d be hard pressed to find a more passionate group of beer lovers and brewers than our Greenwich crew. Great beer is at the heart of the team!
Quality and passion are at the heart of everything that we do. We have always had a drive to continuously improve our beers and ensure that the beers are the best in the world. We have won Gold Medals in the World Beer Cup numerous times and were the first UK brewery to do so.
The Meantime Brewery are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic Head Brewer to join the team in Greenwich. The Head Brewer will be critical in the efficient running of the brewery. Leading the brewing team in all aspects associated with the delivery of our core products, including developing new product ranges, including seasonals and limited batch beers will all sit within the remit of the head brewer.
Therefore a passion for our products and craft beer is a pre-requisite for this individual. Indeed, an individual who shares the values of our pioneering ethos at Meantime is essential to drive engagement and appeal to target customers.
As head brewer, you will be a brand ambassador of the Meantime brand in the world of craft beers. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has experience leading brewing teams in the past where they share both passion and technical brewing experience.
Your key responsibilities:
- Engage & ensure that the team understand the strategy, their part in its achievement and the rigor of maintaining & improving the individual quality & character of all products
- Coach, lead & manage the Brewing team to create a committed, bold and curious team
- Ensure excellent team communication is maintained and empower the team in the creation and delivery of routine and NPD solutions, & to challenge the “status quo”
- Effectively manage & control all beer and material stock items, to ensure the delivery of the variable production cost budget, Utility KPI’s and productivity yields.
- Scope and manage CAPEX projects for on time delivery and to budget.
Brand & Portfolio
- To be an ambassador & the face of Meantime beer. To ‘champion’ the role of beer in Meantime, appearing in social media/PR coverage generated by the Marketing function.
- Working with Marketing and the brewing team in the development of a product range and offering, including the seasonals and limited batch brews, that reflect the brand and will appeal to target customers.
- Act as a thought leader in craft beers and support the innovation and NPD agenda by developing new liquids and introducing new brewing technology, to provide better consumer experiences.
Health and Safety
- Lead by example, adhering to all Health and Safety policies and procedures to a drive safety culture in the work place.
What you get:
- Competitive salary
- Beer allowance per annum
- Annual bonus
- Discounted onsite food offerings
- Pension contribution
- Life assurance
- 25 days’ holiday
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Strong technical Brewing experience - Ideally Master Brewer qualified with clear demonstratable experience of brewing & process improvement.
- Passion for craft beer - Well versed and connected in the UK craft market, as well as knowledgeable on key trends from the US and other international markets.
- Experienced in selecting and sourcing hops and malts from around the world
- Energetic self-starter with an outgoing, engaging positive “can do” attitude.
- Bold and curious in nature, and able to demonstrate credibility & persuasiveness in leading change in an industry that is ‘traditional’ and generally resistant to change.
- Confident communicator with an outgoing personality.
- Proven track record of developing new brews, evolving the classic beer styles with modern twists
More about the company:
Meantime Brewing Company is part of Asahi UK Ltd and brings together the Production, Supply Chain and Distribution elements of Asahi’s operations in the UK. These encompass the Griffin Brewery (Fullers Brewery), Meantime Brewing and Retail Companies, Cornish Orchards Ltd, the Fullers Distribution network, including the Horndean distribution depot and the existing Asahi UK Warehousing and Distribution network, including export operations as well as Supply and Demand Planning for the area’s covered by Asahi UK.
With state-of-the-art facilities, some of the best brewers in the world, quality ingredients, and a culture based on innovation and collaboration, Asahi offers the best quality of beer to beer lovers worldwide.