Head of Network Engineering
- Hammersmith Grove, Hammersmith, London, UK
Boost your career with the Cloud Communications division of NTT, a leading global technology services company bringing together the expertise of leaders in the field including Arkadin, NTT Communications, Dimension Data, and NTT Security. By joining us you will play a key role in a business which delivers world-class cloud communication solutions that enable a more digitally connected workspace with dynamic collaboration interactions for improved workforce efficiency, productivity and engagement.
With exceptional opportunities in our many offices around the world, your talent will find a place to help our teams and develop quickly. In fact we are a people company with strong core values & talented employees committed to our mission. In return, we do our best to make sure we give our people the recognition they deserve.
Together we do great things and build a global team that is agile, engaged and able to respond to the ever-changing digital world. Together, we enable the connected future.
If this sounds like the company you’d like to work with, we’d love to meet with you!
Reporting to Director of Infrastructure Engineering, the Network Engineering Lead leads the design, build and operate of the companies' global backbone and datacenter networks over which virtually all our production services run. The network must be maintained to a high standard of availability, capacity, and quality of service, and constantly evolved and refreshed to meet the needs of the business. Some network operations team members report to the Network Engineering Lead, and the teams form a focused team of experienced network professionals.
- Design, build, operate and support of Global backbone network and datacenter networks
- Technical Design Authority for all IP network related implementations
- IP transit peerings
- Datacenter routing and switching and security appliances
- IP interconnects with partners, suppliers, customers.
Keys to success
- Maintaining "always-on" availability of the global WAN and data center network targeting 100% availability.
- Reviewing and approving changes to the production environment, ensuring they do not cause unexpected impact to service.
- Proactive management of capacity of all backbone and transit links, and of core routing and switching within the datacenters.
- Setting standards for the network operations team ensuring consistent, simple and repeatable designs are used everywhere and drive the automation and policy-based deployment of configurations to implement.
- Driving the use of automation and orchestration to reduce manual work, reduce human error, and build a consistent network using repeatable templates.
- Be an escalation point for the 24/7 callout rota for network incidents
- Managing projects to replace EOL hardware with new
- Identifying opportunities for cost savings around transit bandwidth, WAN bandwidth, and data center equipment, and executing on agreed savings opportunities.
Professional / Technical required
- 10 years+ Experience in managing medium-large networks in service provider type environment.
- Experience and familiarity with Cisco and Juniper data center, routing and switching portfolio
- Experience dealing with suppliers of bandwidth, data center services, and hardware/software at the technology decision-making level.
- Experience implementing network automation/orchestration with Saltstack or similar
- Experience leading a team of highly skilled engineers
Soft Skills required
- Ability to react quickly to a fast-changing environment in which network infrastructure underlies virtually everything we do for customers
- English as the business language, but the network operations team includes engineers across multiple countries in Europe and America, with first languages other than English.
- Changing needs of the business can always mean the immediate focus of network engineering can shift - so a need to effectively estimate, quantify and prioritize key work when requirements demand it.