Lead Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Oath, a subsidiary of Verizon, is a values-led company committed to building brands people love. We are a leader in digital and mobile media with a global house of 50+ brands. Oath is shaping the digital future.
We are in the midst of a tectonic shift in how people view video content -- sight, sound, and motion delivered on screens of all sizes. Television remains an incredibly powerful medium; for advertisers, it has an unparalleled ability to reach enormous audiences with a full screen, 30-second, high definition, surround-sound narrative. TV advertisements have the power to make people laugh, to tell a story, and to help them remember a brand. TV is a demand generation engine.
With this power comes a great responsibility. TV advertising has to demonstrate its value at an increasingly accurate level; it has to enable capturing the massive demand it generates across channels; it has to be responsive; and it has to be data-driven. Programmatic TV brings large-scale data, automation, and efficiency to TV advertising, enabling advertisers to use television as a precision marketing instrument.
The proliferation of ways to access TV content and the availability of detailed data, such as second-by-second set-top-box (STB) viewing behavior, combine to make this an exciting opportunity to revolutionize a $70 billion industry.
TV is a relatively small unit within AOL Platforms. We consider ourselves a mid-stage technology startup within a large company, and we are serious about maintaining the mindset and work environment of a startup.
Team Name & Description
TV Engineering - TV engineering designs and implements AOL’s platform for advanced TV. Our mission is to bring intelligence, scale, efficiency, and accountability to television advertising. TV should be a precision marketing instrument, combining the targeting and transparency of online advertising with the viewer impact that only TV can provide. We are making this vision a reality.
Our platform includes libraries, web services, modern web applications, analytic models, operational infrastructure, data integration systems, data warehouses, data visualization and reporting systems. You will be a key contributor to the architecture, function, and quality of software in an industry-changing product.
The Lead SDE for scoring is the most senior engineer in the development of our TV scoring system. This individual will own the architecture, design, and implementation of the TV scoring service. “Scoring” in our context means predictions about TV viewership, audience targeting, and targeted reach/frequency. Scoring is a cornerstone in how we provide TV advertisers and agencies with the most effective and cost-efficient TV advertising plans.
You will work closely with other TV engineering teams, and the TV data science team, to evolve our design and implementation. Scoring builds on top of our TV data fabric and demographic data sets.
Candidates for this position must be technically excellent, and adept with data. They must have a proven ability to write clean, intuitive, and maintainable code. They should be innately curious and seek to understand things deeply and broadly; and quick to learn new topics and experiment with them. They should thrive in a fast-paced environment and excel at collaborating with other teams. Strong communication and writing skills, and the ability to do great work in a loosely structured environment, are required.
We prefer high-quality, .NET compatible, open-source technologies that support clean code and developer productivity. Examples including Microsoft frameworks like Web API, TypeScript, and NuGet. For data we use Microsoft SQL Server and Apache Spark, and are evaluating other options. We have created several open-source libraries to enhance our productivity and quality, and to contribute to the virtuous cycle of open-source software. We do not limit ourselves to Windows, and we use best of breed productivity and collaboration tools like Jira, Confluence, TeamCity, and Slack.
We value computer science breadth and depth over skills with any specific technology – smart people can learn new toolsets quickly. Consequently, .NET expertise is not a requirement (it’s a strong nice-to-have), but a desire to work with .NET is required.
● Lead the architecture and implementation of the scoring service.
● Work closely with the TV data science team to enable new machine learning models and capabilities when scoring.
● Create tools to “weaponize” TV scoring, evaluate the quality of scoring results, and facilitate ad-hoc testing and introspection.
● Develop unit and integration tests to automate quality validation.
● Program using C#, .NET Framework, Web API, xUnit, Entity Framework; in addition to other best-of-breed open-source frameworks.
● Code review contributions to the scoring service, in addition to contributions to other TV systems.
Qualifications and Prior Experience
● Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
● 7-20 years relevant and progressively challenging work experience
● 5+ years experience with C#, Java, or C++
● 2+ years experience with databases and schema design
● Startup experience preferred; and/or a track record of going above and beyond your job title.
● Strong communication, writing, speaking, and critical thinking skills; attention to detail
● Strong computer science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
● A software development generalist with a background in multiple technologies, and an ability to quickly grok new frameworks and technologies.
● Strong API design and object-oriented design skills; a proven ability to create robust and reusable software that minimizes complexity.
● Experience developing systems that generate and/or process large amounts of data; and use the data to answer questions or improve system behavior.
● Enthusiasm for working with the data science team to expand our machine-learning capabilities.
● Expertise in C# and .NET is desired, but not required. Strong engineers with expertise in Java and/or C++, and the interest and ability to learn C#/.NET quickly, are also acceptable.
● Data mining and/or machine learning expertise.
● Strong data modeling and relational database design skills.
● Expertise in several of these technologies: .NET Web API, .NET Entity Framework, Microsoft SQL Server, Apache Spark
● Someone who keeps up-to-date on new technologies, frameworks, and architectures (frequently doing so in their own time), and/or someone who participates in open-source projects.
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: Oath offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.