Technology and Life Writer
- London, United Kingdom
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, video, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged global community for opinion and conversation. The platform has 100,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects about which they are most passionate. The Huffington Post is committed to covering our core editorial pillars -- news and politics, wellness, and solutions to the world's biggest problems -- and using every available tool and platform, including virtual reality and immersive storytelling, to inform, inspire, entertain and empower. With a global multi platform audience, The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Maghreb, Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Greece, India, Australia, Mexico, South Africa and the Arab world. The Huffington Post is part of AOL.
Huffington Post UK is looking for a technology and life writer, who lives and breathes social media and is able to create quality, viral content across our lifestyle and tech verticals.
The tech and life writer will have an intrinsic understanding of the viral internet. They will be able to spot and anticipate trends, while also creating content that is highly shareable. They’ll be able to inhale information and then create conversational yet engaging copy that can make even the most complex story easy to understand.
They’ll be someone who is plugged into social media and has confidence to use emerging platforms and finding innovative ways to increase engagement.
This role will include writing news stories, creating original feature content across multiple mediums, working with video teams to create engaging, sharable video and distributing content on social platforms.
Great SEO and social media skills are essential, as are great, fast-paced writing skills and a genuine passion for the subjects.
Key Role Accountabilities:
• Write, edit & publish content, based on vertical relevance and day-to-day requirements
• Self-review of content, for quality, style, presentation, of daily received content
• Self-documentation and reporting of your tasks and engagements
• Pushing content out on social media with a passionate understanding of how to optimise
• Has at least one year’s online experience, preferably in a social-facing role writing about technology or lifestyle with some evidence of written work.
• Can write short, snappy copy for different platforms and can switch between humorous and informative tones
• Has their finger on the pulse of online discussions and sentiment and is able to spot a trending story
• Is hard-working, collaborative and enthusiastic while being an enthusiastic self-starter who can manage their own workload.
• Working knowledge of SEO
• Has an eye for spotting viral blogs
The application process
When applying for this role please respond to the following questions and complete the hiring task below (note: only applicants that provide this will be considered)
- Do you have permanent work rights for the United Kingdom?
- Please indicate your salary expectations?
3. What types of content are most important to a publisher like the HuffPost UK and why?
4. Provide 6 headlines you would suggest for HuffPost Tech:
- 2 technology
- 2 science
- 2 environment