DB Engineering Intern
- Dulles, VA
AOL is a media technology company with a mission to simplify the Internet for consumers and creators by unleashing the world's best builders of culture and code. As the 4th largest online property in the U.S., with more than 200 million monthly consumers of its premium brands, AOL is at the center of disruption of how content is being produced, distributed, consumed and monetized by connecting publishers with advertisers on its global, programmatic content and advertising platforms. AOL's opportunity lies in shaping the future of the digitally connected world for decades to come.
This is a hands-on position in which you get to work in the database engineering team on various areas of database management. During the internship, you will have an opportunity to work on many of the following areas:
- Understand state-of-the-art concepts, design and deployment of database administration, backup/recovery techniques, performance monitoring and tuning and SQL.
- Engage with engineering and operations resources to understand architecture of products within a team or specific business area, work to ensure that database dependencies and technical implementation requirements are met.
- Follow best practices for security and database deployment methodologies for all assigned databases and gain experience documenting them.
- Work with engineering and operations resources to identify and participate in resolution of database performance issues. Contribute to benchmarks and assessments of various database platforms and solutions. Collaborates with engineering teams to design databases for existing and new products.
- Maintain awareness of best practices for deploying highly available and scalable databases. Engage with engineering and operations resources as needed to optimize performance, appropriately monitor databases, and build in redundancy and recovery. Be adept at working in at least one database platform across at least one product area within the organization.
- Utilize automated deployment methods and tools to improve database deployments. Participate in the creation of automated processes related to database administration, system management, security, monitoring, and performance. Participate in development of database tools and automation in consultation with senior DBA’s/ engineering; contribute new ideas for automation.
- Understand and utilize new data technologies, working with other Operations and Engineering resources to collaborate on implementation.
- Maintain personal development plans and take advantage of internal and external/industry training opportunities to include AOLU classes, mentoring with more senior members, participation in technology talks/meet ups, online courses, etc..
Strong analytical and quantitative abilities with excellent written and verbal communications
Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with a general understanding of data analysis techniques.
Entry-level knowledge /Experience of database technologies, concepts, and terminologies.
Ability to participate within a multidisciplinary team as well as acting autonomously as appropriate
- Pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Information Systems from an accredited college/university
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.