Software Engineer Intern
- Dulles, VA
AOL is a media technology company with a mission to simplify the Internet for consumers and creators by unleashing the world's best builders of culture and code. As the 4th largest online property in the U.S., with more than 200 million monthly consumers of its premium brands, AOL is at the center of disruption of how content is being produced, distributed, consumed and monetized by connecting publishers with advertisers on its global, programmatic content and advertising platforms. AOL's opportunity lies in shaping the future of the digitally connected world for decades to come.
The AOL Data Platforms Team is responsible for services related to our existing data platforms and infrastructure, ETL processes, and reporting platforms. We ingest, process, and expose data feeds from external sources such as Omniture and Comscore as well as from many internal data sources within AOL including registration, billing, CMS, and advertising. This data is then consumed by various business intelligence and analytics teams throughout the company, and served to top levels of management. It has constant and impactful influence on decision making to help increase engagement and yield.
AOL Data Platforms is looking to hire a software engineer intern to help with testing and development of our Big Data systems which are the core of our services. We are looking for someone will to take on duties across a broad area of technologies including software testing and automation, scripting, and SQL database/Big Data processing.
- In this role, you will be responsible for learning our various systems and be able configure them in a QA environment for testing purposes, and exercise them with a combination of automation technologies. Work closely with team members to understand the functionality and features added to ensure testing coverage.
- Enhance the reach and accessibility of our data by contributing to our reporting offerings using a combination of backend scripting and data processing using SQL/Pig/Hive.
- Taking guidance from senior engineers in the areas of design and implementation and build upon your skill sets accordingly, and applying the knowledge gained for future work. You will also verify your work as well as from other members of the team to maintain the high degree of quality assurance required for this level of business critical data.
- Collaborate with other computer engineers to solve complex problems that affect both functionality of existing software and delivery of new features to production, document user stories and break them into specific detailed technical tasks and design, develop and test new/changed components of Data Platforms leveraging commercial software and open source to interface big data with relational solutions.
- Actively enrolled in a Bachelors or Masters Degree Program in Computer Science
- Development experience using a mainstream language such as Java or C++
- Experience with databases and SQL
- Unix/Linux experience is a must
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bonus skills: Experience with Big data processing using Hadoop, Hbase, Pig and Hive, Experience with Amazon Web Services/products
- About You:
- You like playing a key role in a growing company while also helping to
define technology roadmaps and best practices
- You enjoy taking on technical challenges and figuring out how they
ultimately solve a business need
- You take pride in your work and the work of your team, your teams
success is more important than your individual success
- You like to tackle, brainstorm & solve complex problems while promoting
- You absolutely, unequivocally, like to have FUN and want to promote an
enthusiastic workplace where folks can't wait to get into the office!
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.