- San Francisco, CA
Engadget is the definitive guide to this connected life.
Since 2004, Engadget has exhaustively covered cutting edge devices and the technology that powers them. As we enter our second decade, we're looking beyond the gadgets themselves to explore how technology is impacting our lives. We strive to be the forefront of online journalism, and we’re building a team that connects with, informs, and entertains a massive and growing audience in both personal and profound ways.
Are you ready to build innovative new products for massive audiences? Engadget is looking for a senior backend developer to help us continue growing creating best in class products, as well as tools and experiences that elevate our storytelling capabilities, plus collaborate with our mobile developers on exciting new mobile products. This means solving complex, unique and large-scale problems, and working with a passionate team to help Engadget grow and create innovative experiences.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Work closely with frontend engineers in shipping new features
- Proficient in LAMP stack environments using Laravel framework
- Responsible for providing RESTful api resources for Engadget frontend
- Devops knowledge a plus (vagrant and deploy scripts)
What we’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with at least 5+ years of work experience.
• A BA/BS or equivalent in CS or Engineering, Masters preferred.
• Extensive experience with Laravel, JSON, Git, Gulp, Sass and JQuery to make building sites easier.
• Passionate about automating deployment processes and testing code.
• Prior working knowledge of Content Management Systems.
• Expert level experience with MySQL, Mongo and Redis, building schemas, objects, tables and storing/retrieving data.
• Find joy in integrating with external services and apis.
• Able to juggle several projects and deadlines at the same time.
• Write code so clean, fast, and elegant, you fight the urge to hang it on your mantle.
• Are disciplined and efficient in your approach to development.
• Love finding solutions to complex problems.
• Have a proven track record of using development methodologies, agile or kanban.
• Are passionate about constantly learning new technologies and improving your skills.
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.