Qualitative Research Intern
- Dulles, VA
AOL is a media technology company with a mission to connect consumers and creators through open marketplaces. AOL uses data to disrupt content production, distribution and monetization. The company connects publishers with advertisers across its global, programmatic platforms, tapping into Microsoft inventory and original content brands like TechCrunch, The Huffington Post and MAKERS which reach over 500 million monthly global consumers. Within its mobile advertising network alone, AOL has a reach of roughly 800 million users. A subsidiary of Verizon, AOL is shaping the digital future.
AOL is seeking an intern for its onsite qualitative research facility in Dulles, Va. In this internship, you will contribute to various aspects of the research process, from coordinating consumer testing to packaging and reporting results for internal clients. You’ll get a ton of exposure to qualitative research methods (including focus groups, usability testing, and interviewing) and hands-on experience executing all phases of consumer testing.
The schedule for this position requires 30-40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, with some evenings and rarely weekends required.
- Support day-to-day planning/management/logistics of the onsite Consumer Lab
- Assist in drafting screeners and discussion guides as directed by Research team
- Sign out and set up devices for consumer testing from Device Lab
· Prepare consumer and observation rooms for research on testing days
- Check in/check out consumers on testing days
- Assist in building a proprietary AOL database for in-person testing
· Invite, screen and recruit respondents to participate in research studies using multiple methods (including telephone, social media outreach, and in-person)
· Coordinate with external vendors to execute projects, such as participant recruiting, video production, etc.
· Collaborate with research team on identifying research findings and themes for analysis and reporting
· Cut, curate, and edit video content from qualitative research for client reports/deliverables and internal communication; this will include video editing work as well as headline and caption writing
· Create topline summaries and final reports incorporating content from consumer testing (such as quotes, stats, sizzle reels, video clips)
· Verify live and on-demand video playback on multiple devices including mobile devices
· Upload and publish videos to internal research website
· Track consumer lab “metrics” (such as number of tests completed, number of consumers interviewed, etc.)
· Maintain and update internal research website
· Perform light administrative duties and generally support research team needs
· Participate in team meetings
- Actively enrolled college student or recent college graduate
- Preferred Majors include: Social Science, Psychology, Market Research, Social Psychology, Market Research, Journalism, Communications or a related major with an emphasis in Digital Media production
- Coursework or experience in Market Research, Surveying, Audience Sampling, Focus Groups a huge plus
- Superior communications skills, both oral and written
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Experience with video production/editing a plus
- Experience in qualitative research a plus
- Orientation toward visual design
- Well organized, able to multi-task, able to prioritize with minimal direction
- Personable self-starter with a positive attitude
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.