Social Performance Principal
- 20 Carlton House Terrace, St. James's, London SW1Y 5AN, UK
This is a Fixed-Term role for 12 months
The purpose of this role is to support the provision of guidance to Anglo American operations with respect to the management of community health issues. This will support Anglo American’s purpose: ‘reimaging mining to improve people’s lives’.
Here’s an exciting opportunity to join us.
Corporate Relations ensures that Anglo American stands out as a trusted leader in responsible mining, unlocking long-term value for shareholders and society as a whole. The combined activity of our teams – in Corporate Communication, Social Performance and Engagement, and International and Government Relations – aims to build and protect our strong global reputation and our distinctive brand. We strive to communicate consistently with all stakeholders, both inside and outside our organisation, to positively influence perceptions and to develop and sustain mutually beneficial relationships. We’re looking for articulate, talented professionals who share our values and our belief in a better future for mining. Could you be one of them?
This is a fantastic time to join us as a Social Performance Principal – Community Health and Safety. The objective of the Social Performance team is to guide and advise leadership on the way that community engagement and social issues are managed to ensure that Anglo American is seen as a preferred partner in the mining and minerals sector for a wide range of stakeholders, including communities, governments, NGOs, investors and customers, covering both existing businesses and future development and M&A projects in new regions.
As part of this transformative team your role will be to
- Support internal capacity development on community health and safety management, including the delivery of customized executive and practitioner capacity development and training.
- Provide advisory support to operations related to implementing community health and safety risk and impact assessment and management.
- Provide advisory support to operations related to developing Community Health and Safety Management Plans and monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Develop 12-36-month road-maps for critical operations to improve their community health and safety management and align with the Social Way 3.0
- Provide expert technical advice on maintaining, improving and communicating the Social Way and related guidance across Anglo American when required.
Essential Knowledge and experience
Knowledge of and proven ability to operate at a senior level in the field of social performance and community health and safety management, which will include:
- Social and Health assessment techniques including Social and Environmental Impact Assessments, and of delivering strategic management plans for businesses and operations.
- International standards and industry best practice, such as the IFC Performance Standards, ICMM Good Practice Guidance, Voluntary Principles, etc. for the mining industry.
- Practical experience of working at site level in a range of developing or developed economies, in a company, consultancy or international development institution.
- Experience developing and delivering training or professional development programmes.
- Ability to articulate and deliver business value from social performance activities
- Past experience working at a mining operation desirable but not essential
- Willingness to travel (~30%+)
This role is in the Group Corporate Relations Unit at a Band 5 level reporting to the Social Performance Manager
Post-graduate in a relevant discipline
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
Rewards & Benefits
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Amazing opportunities for learning and growth - from technical training to leadership programs, we bring out the best in people
- We’re a large, successful multinational company and there are plenty of opportunities to move onward and upwards too.
- Free breakfast & lunch, coffee & office snacks
- Generous pension plans
- Subsidised gym memberships
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of the process