IP Docketing Manager
- McLean, VA, USA
Anchorage Consultants is an executive placement firm located right outside of Washington, DC. Our model is based on a dual approach of utilizing our vast personal networks and technological savvy to locate and place top flight professionals in the public and private sectors. We employ a results based methodology to find the right people for the right positions.
- Supervising the Firmwide Intellectual Property docketing department staff members.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are being followed and met on a day to day basis by the Docketing Department in accordance with established Firm guidelines.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal communication, and training of the day to day docketing staff and other staff members as requested by management.
- Must be available as a first level response to questions and problems from the docketing staff members, attorneys, and staff to enable the Docketing Department and IP Practice to function in a consistently productive manner.
- Develop training courses for new and existing docketing staff to ensure that the docketing staff are updated on new rules and/or requirements to enable them to complete their day to day responsibilities accurately and timely.
- Responsible for the overall accuracy and completeness of the docketing of documents that are received from government agencies, including the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office, within the requirements set by the Code of Federal Regulations, Rules of Practices, and/or clients.
Resonsibilities also include:
- Overseeing the integrity of the docket database, which included accuracy and compliance with the Rules of Practice as governed by government agencies and within the Firm’s established procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, developments, and legislative rulings impacting patent administration; keep up to date on USPTO procedural changes; perform research to clarify patent rules; and serve as an expert on IP procedures and regulations.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the docket database to create specialized reports and make appropriate changes as necessary.
- Organize, delegate, and provide follow-up on the performance or routine and more complex assignments by working closely with the docketing staff and management.
- Responsible for the compilation of information for the Docket Manual and for the accuracy and completeness of the Manual.
- Seek approval of process changes from management.
- Document and communicate changes within the policies and procedures to management.
- Receive and review the Docket Department’s timesheets, leave requests, overtime requests, etc.
- Work closely with all departments to assist with the workflow of the Firm. In conjunction with the Firmwide IP Practice Support Manager and Local Records Support, efficiently and accurately process files that are transferred into or outside of the Firm.
- Work closely with each office to coordinate the workflow to expedite the transfers of applications without causing risk to the IP Practice.
- Identify policies and procedures that can be improved and suggest operational enhancements of the Docket Department.
- Set clear performance expectations and measurements for the docketing department staff.
- Various other tasks as requested/needed.
- Candidates must have 5-7+ years of progressive Intellectual Property experience.
- At least 5 years of managing/supervising a team
- Prior experience with sophisticated IP docket software required (e.g., Inprotech, CPI, Patricia, Foundation IP, IP Manager). Inprotech is preferred.
- Undergraduate degree required.
Competitive salary. Full benefits.