Staff Software Performance Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Ancestry is looking for a mature, passionate, talented Software Performance Engineer in our San Francisco office to lead the organization in the assessment, profiling, and tuning of RESTful micro-services, web stacks, and the larger site. You will provide organizational leadership through enablement, mentoring, training, and consulting in the use and integration of open source and commercial test, profiling and tracking/reporting tools. You will enable the teams to automate daily performance baselining, release benchmarking; and to profile, tune, and implement changes that improve end user experience and reduce the cost of operations in the cloud environment.
This position reports to the Director of Performance and will be the primary domain expert responsible for enabling engineering teams to take ownership for performance and the cost of service delivery.
- Train teams in the principles and concepts of performance testing and in the creation of data driven test scripts. Provide training through live sessions, online tutorials with working examples and templates, and through context-based collaboration with teams and individuals.
- Enable the automated execution and reporting by creating and evolving automated resource allocation, execution, and report aggregation within the AWS cloud environment; to include templates, examples and training materials that ease implementation and adoption by the teams.
- Identify and train teams in the use of performance profiling and diagnostics tools for AWS cloud infrastructure and services, Linux, Java, Nodejs, Angularjs, React, and native mobile technologies.
- Provide training and reference materials for the tuning of these solutions; with the intent of improving customer experience and reducing the cost of operations.
- Consult with teams in the testing, profiling, and tuning of their products in the test environments; and in the assessment, identification, and resolution of issues encountered within production.
- Coordinate and lead the organization in site-wide performance testing against a production equivalent environment. Perform cross organizational planning with Product Management, Marketing, and Engineering to identify scenarios and scope for these assessments. Coordinate the execution with engineering and operations staff, perform post-test analysis, and publish a consolidated report of findings with actionable recommendations.
- 7+ years relevant experience
- Bachelor's Degree Required, Master's Degree preferred
- Domain expert in performance testing; to include baselining, load, stress, scalability, endurance, and other related performance test strategies and techniques.
- Advanced command of JMeter, in its uses and capabilities.
- Experience in the use and capabilities of Taurus (gettaurus.org) is highly desired.
- Solid knowledge and experience in the use of performance profiling tools; such as Linux Perftools, VisualVM, and various other tools for the technologies mentioned above.
- Performance tuning experience for platforms, containers, communications, and software stacks; to include Linux, Java, HTTPS, HTTP/2, Nodejs, cache, browsers, and mobile.
- Experience with the AWS cloud environments, or equivalent.
- Experience in the performant delivery of web content, including development and implementation strategies is highly desired.
- Ability to implement performance tests in multi-tiered and micro service architectures.
- Ability to lead and train teams; acting as a domain expert that encourages, mentors, and assists teams in establishing and growing their performance centric capabilities and knowledge.
- Effectively collaborate with Engineering, Marketing, Product Management, IT Operations and Executive management.
- Effectively present training and findings to teams, to communicate plans and approaches to management and other teams, to represent and defend decisions and directions while listening to feedback and adjusting where appropriate.
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit our careers page:www.workforancestry.com
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means .
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.