Senior Engineering Manager (IaaS team) - Ancestry (Lehi, UT)
- Lehi, UT, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/careers
Ancestry seeks a Senior Engineering Manager to join our IaaS team, located in Lehi, UT. The IaaS team is responsible for Ancestry’s centralized logging services and used by all our application to retrieve logs for their application systems and processes several TB per day. The service is build using AWS Kinesis, FileBeat, Elastic Search and Kibana.
Further, the team is responsible for Ancestry’s Infrastructure-as-Code Service which enables all application developers to create AWS Cloud Resources via Terraform. The focus here is to enable self-service while at the same time provide governance and security for the resources being created.
If you want an opportunity to champion and advocate developer centric services within Ancestry’s developer eco-system – this is an opportunity for you!
What you’ll be doing:
- Providing infrastructure services to our 600+ application developers
- Improvements of logging service by providing extended functionality
- Improvements of IAC Services to enable automation around governance and security for AWS cloud resources
- Ensuring efficiencies and cost savings for provided services
- Working directly with stakeholders to ensure service level quality and requirements that drive the life-cycle of the product
- Working closely with product management teams to define the enhancements and backlog of the service implementation
- Always working closely with program management to align the timelines for deliverables and define how to execute consistently.
Who you are:
Must have, at a minimum:
- 5+ years leading strong & agile engineering teams
- 5+ years of hands-on design & implementation of distributed systems
- 5+ years writing code in Java or other languages
- 3+ years’ experience leading teams in building scalable and reliable services on AWS/public cloud provider
- Bachelor or master degree in Computer Science or equivalent education
Ideally to have all below (in addition to all noted above):
- Understanding of Kinesis and Elastic Search
- Understanding of Terraform and Cloud Resource provisioning
- Understanding of CI/CD concepts
- Understanding of design patterns for message delivery
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities