Senior Healthcare Integration Engineer
- 75 State St, Boston, MA 02109, USA
American Well, a leading telehealth platform in the US, is seeking a highly motivated and professional individual with expertise in Technical Services. At American Well, we believe digital care delivery will transform healthcare. Our mission is to connect and enable providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. We do this by partnering with our clients to deliver video visits over mobile and web. We have doctors, therapists, and specialists on staff to help people get care when and where they need it most.
The Senior Healthcare Integration Engineer will play a critical role in Technical Services department. Specifically, the Senior Healthcare Integration Engineer will be responsible for the design validation and development of healthcare integration solutions delivered to health plans, health systems and employers wishing to technically integrate the American Well platform with other infrastructure. They will utilize their industry expertise to define and enforce integration coding best practices and HL7 standards across the development team.
- Design and build interfaces that facilitate workflows between the American Well platform and client third party systems as scoped while complying with HL7 standards and industry best practices.
- Define and document applied Rhapsody best practices along with thorough message specifications.
- Assist in capture of complex custom technical requirements including, but not limited to reverse engineering client HL7 content when necessary.
- Enforce documentation of generic and client-specific integration workflows, routes and communication port configurations to ensure proper versioning and control of upgrades.
- Monitor, configure and tune the configuration of interfaces for high availability once deployed in production environments.
- Own troubleshooting and fixing complex integration support issues in Production.
Author internal knowledge base, best practices, technical fact sheets and other technical documentation items and templates.
Provide technical expertise to American Well Customer Support Team (level 2 and level 3 support) as needed and diagnose platform technical issues when requested
• 5+ years of experience developing interfaces that integrate clinical and ancillary systems from major vendors such as registration/admissions, provider order entry, medication administration, charting, electronic medical records, Hospital information systems.
• 3+ years of experience vetting and delivering custom healthcare integration solutions as scoped to satisfy critical client workflows. Actual client-facing experience is a plus.
• Extensive experience with healthcare interoperability and messaging standards, including but not limited to HL7 2.x, HL7 3.x, HL7 FHIR, IHE integration profiles and technical frameworks, and X12 HIPPA transactions and code sets
• Expertise with interface engines and/or enterprise service bus architectures. Orion Rhapsody experience is required.
• Experience working with SOAP and REST based web services
• Experience working in Agile environment
• Working knowledge of networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SOAP, …)
• Strong knowledge of SQL is required
• Strong understanding of XML technologies (XML, XSD, XSL/XSLT)
• Demonstrates future thinking, building solutions that will meet not only current needs
• Self-starter, curious, accountable, enjoys a healthy level of autonomy, strong work ethic, able to succeed in a fast-paced, high intensity start up environment
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Extensive experience relaying technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
• Demonstrated expert problem solving and analytical skills.
• Excels at multi-tasking and managing multiple high-priority customer engagements at once.
• Ability to assess complex client environments and workflows and arrive at integration solutions that will satisfy seamless experience between our platform and theirs
• Ability to mentor junior team members and introduce industry expertise and best practices across integration development.
• Bachelor degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, or related field or equivalent. Advanced degree in any of the areas above is a plus.
Should you join American Well and the Technical Services team, you can expect:
The R&D organization is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, QA and Technical Services dedicated to creating a state of the art TeleHealth experience on every platform we can get our hands on. Our cross-functional teams follow a pragmatic Agile methodology as we balance feature requests, strategic initiatives, tech debt, and exciting partnerships on the path to delivering a market leading product to a quickly growing customer base. We work hand in hand with the whole American Well organization to ensure that our product meets the needs of all of our users.
As a team within the R&D organization, Technical Services delivers client specific platform configurations, custom reporting needs, and integration solutions enabling our platform to work hand in hand with third party systems across our customer base. We love to troubleshoot and diagnose production defects, innovate to expand our out–of-the-box platform and work directly with clients.
Whether you’re an advocate for the latest and greatest iOS and Android features, are committed to the ideal back-end architecture, or are dedicated to providing the best web usability, we have a place for you on our team.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a go-getter culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic. Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
• Unlimited Personal Time Off (Vacation time)
• 401K match
• Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
• Free gym access – on-site
• Prime office space with views overlooking all of Boston
• Complimentary snacks and drinks