Medical Lab Assistant - Cyto/Histo
- Wilson, NC
As one of the long-standing, leading laboratories and pathology medical practices in the Carolinas, we are committed to providing academic-caliber anatomic pathology, cytology and molecular diagnostic services to physicians and their patients in inpatient and outpatient clinical settings, including physician offices, surgery centers, hospitals, and other healthcare facilities.
We do so by providing high-quality, subspecialized diagnostic services with unmatched service levels. Our pathologist team consists of highly accessible, board-certified physicians with expertise and advanced training in several subspecialty areas, including women's health, surgical pathology, gastrointestinal pathology, urologic pathology, and hematopathology.
Our passion is the patient, and our mission simple: delivering quality patient care through teamwork and exceptional laboratory services.
Work Schedule: Part-time, Monday - Friday, 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
Position is a medical laboratory assistant and processes histology and cytology samples and specimens. Position serves in a mixed technical (histology and cytology) and administrative role (filing, retrieving, and entering data) by ensuring the accurate and timely intake, preparation, troubleshoot(ing), and data-entry of specimens and samples (gynecological and non-gynological). Position is an active participant in quality assurance measures. Position reports to the Director, Eastern Carolina Pathology (ECP).
- Adheres to policies, procedures, and processes pertinent to MLA cytology and histology responsibilities.
- Follows safety requirements and hazardous waste regulations.
- Performs quality checks on cytology and histology processing.
- Maintains working knowledge of technical equipment used in processing (cytology and histology).
- Performs preventive (e.g., breakdown and cleaning) and corrective (e.g., minor calibrations) maintenance on laboratory equipment.
- Maintains a safe and clean work environment.
- Assists with the preparation of accreditation inspections (i.e., CAP).
- Enters and tracks data.
- Maintains adequate inventory of supplies and notifies supervisor of anticipated shortages.
- Provides basic troubleshooting.
- Files blocks and slides
- Processes gyn and non-gyn specimens; and
- files, retrieves, and sends out slides.
- Processes tissue fixation;
- embeds paraffin processed patient tissue in molds;
- produces microscopic slides; and
- prepares reagents (includes appropriate storage and disposal of solutions).
- Uses manual and automated methods for staining and special staining.
Position will acquire and maintain working knowledge of LIS, Vantage, tissue processors, embedding stations, microtomes, and the operation of H&E as well as special and IHC automated strainers.
Position will acquire and maintain working knowledge of Large Quantity Generator of Hazardous Waste (i.e., regulations: properties of facility waste, waste minimization, waste accumulation, container and tank management, inspections and repairs, packaging, pre-transportation, and emergency procedures, contingency plan implementation, communications and alarms, emergency equipment use, evacuation routes, response to fire, explosion, and ground-water contamination incidents, and site shutdown procedures).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office skills.
- Working knowledge of the handling of the safe handling of chemicals and bio-hazardous materials.
- Ability to work independently and with teams.
- Ability to maintain client (HIPAA) and proprietary confidentiality.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of college-level human anatomy and physiology courses.
- Prefer college biology educational track with completion of 30 hours of science credit.
- Prefer one year of experience in a medical laboratory.
Position is located in a medical laboratory environment and may be exposed to odors and commonly used solvents (i.e., Xylene, alcohols, Formalin).
Position is required to wear and tolerate personal protective equipment (face-masks) and will use solutions and germicidal soaps.
- Requires full-range of body motion, including eye/hand coordination and manual and finger dexterity.
- Requires sitting for extended periods of time while using a microscope.
- Requires visual acuity and normal color perception.
- Requires ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
This posting is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
American Pathology Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply. This list is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this job.