- 116 E 16th St, New York, NY 10003, USA
The American Montessori Society is a not-for-profit, professional membership organization based in New York City, and the foremost advocate for quality Montessori education worldwide. The organization has nearly 15,000 members worldwide, including teachers, teacher educators, schools, and teacher education programs.
The Controller is responsible for all accounting functions, grant compliance, contracts, and insurance for the organization. The position is responsible for directing all aspects of the fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
Prepares the monthly financial reporting package, and provides financial statement analysis, budget, and audit support.
The ideal candidate will lead by example in managing a team of accounting professionals, driving results through the use of data, feedback and accountability in a supportive learning environment that encourages staff engagement and professional growth.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Accounting Department
Classification: Full-time (1.0 FTE); Exempt
Worksite: AMS office in New York City
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and salary expectations to be considered.
Guides and monitors the month-end close process to ensure timely and accurate financial statement reporting in accordance with Accounting Standards
Produces monthly financial statements, including Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Activities with comparisons to budget, Cash Flow Statement, Rolling Forecast, and Memo pointing out significant information. Submits reports to and reviews with Executive Director.
Updates the Net Asset Rollforward quarterly
Develops the annual budget and forecasts with senior management/ input from department heads.
Maintains copies of all grants and reviews all grants to ensure that financial reporting requirements of funders are being met; Maintains record-keeping and proper accounting for grants.
Maintains all contract files
Attends finance & audit committee and/or board meetings to assist executive management in the presentation of monthly financial statement reports
Assists the Executive Director with the implementation of policies and objectives set by the Board.
Supports and assists in the implementation of strategic goals and objectives.
Oversees and manages external auditors in the completion of the annual financial statement and program audit(s)
Oversees and manages external accountants in the preparation of the Federal form 990 and other tax filings
Serves as back-up for Accounting Manager function
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; MBA or CPA preferred
- Seven or more years supervisory/controllership experience required
- Non-profit accounting and operations experience required
- Knowledge of SAGE, Paychex Flex, NetSuite and AA or similar database
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial reporting and audit support
- Superior attention to detail, with excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to think strategically and synthesize recommendations
- Ability to identify potential problems, analyze issues, and provide proactive solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to foster collaborative relationships with employees, vendors, Board members, and partners
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize to meet deadlines
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
No calls, please.
Equal employment opportunities and diversity among its employees are fundamental principles at the American Montessori Society.
The American Montessori Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable laws.