- 7101 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
The American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics is an organization composed of biochemical, clinical, cytogenetic, medical, and molecular geneticists, genetic counselors, and other health care professionals committed to the practice of medical genetics. The ACMG was incorporated in 1991 to give national representation to providers of genetic services and their patients with genetic disorders and to speak for the emerging specialty of medical genetics in organizations and agencies concerned with medical service, certification, and regulatory issues. The ACMG provides education, resources, and a voice for the medical genetics profession and its' mission is to improve health through genetics.
ACMG is a nonprofit organization composed of health care professionals committed to the practice of genetics and genomics. ACMG was incorporated in 1991 to give national representation to providers of genetic services and their patients with genetic disorders and to speak for the emerging specialty of medical genetics in organizations and agencies concerned with medical service, certification, and regulatory issues. ACMG provides education, resources, and a voice for the medical genetics profession and its mission is to improve health through genetics and genomics.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Provide methodological support for ACMG’s evidence-based guidelines program. Conduct systematic reviews based upon IOM (National Academies) standards and develop clinical practice guidelines using the Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development, and Evaluation (GRADE) approach. This includes, but is not limited to, development of clinical questions, development and completion of literature searches, data extraction, assessment of study quality, meta-analyses, completion of evidence profiles and “evidence to decision” tables, and development of final guideline recommendation statements. Coordinate guideline development, dissemination, and implementation efforts with the volunteer Topic Selection Committee and topic specific workgroups. Coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously including writing reports, managing guideline development efforts, assisting in the development of expert panel reports, maintaining literature databases and EndNote libraries. Please click here for the full position description.
- Work with ACMG staff, medical director, or PP&G liaison to convene and lead a topic selection committee to identify and prioritize topics for systematic evidence review and ACMG clinical guideline development.
- Consult with the ACMG working group members, across multiple committees and projects, to formulate key clinical questions for evidence-based evaluation, including identifying medical conditions, populations, health interventions for comparative analysis, and health outcomes.
- Search electronic databases and internet resources—Develop an efficient and effective search strategy using the PICOTS framework, conduct a comprehensive search of all appropriate databases (e.g. PubMed, EMBASE), including gray literature; document the search strategy with special emphasis on keywords, and selection criteria.
- Support the ACMG volunteer work group members to determine the appropriate study selection criteria for inclusion in reports; select studies with the strongest study design, such as well-controlled studies with clinically meaningful endpoints published in the peer-reviewed medical literature for analysis
- Conducts evidence summaries, systematic reviews, meta-analyses, and other analyses to answer high-impact clinical questions; critically evaluates the research methods and statistical findings of studies retrieved from the medical literature; and uses established frameworks and tools to evaluate, grade and summarize the quality of the evidence.
- Abstract data into evidence tables, evaluate the quality of individual studies and the strength of the evidence, synthesize the evidence in a comprehensive report; manage deadlines for reports; interact with committee and working group members and production support in the ACMG office.
- Disseminate the findings of evidence reviews through written reports appropriate for publication in Genetics in Medicine, and verbal presentations of the evidence to ACMG leadership and other clinical and operational stakeholders.
- Support multiple ACMG working groups as they develop evidence-based ACMG clinical guidelines and policies related to the use of new and existing medical technologies (e.g., procedures, equipment, devices, diagnostics and selected pharmacologic agents), as well as clinical interventions for genetic disorders.
- Initiate and facilitate review and consensus on clinical recommendations and practice policies with key stakeholder groups when evidence is insufficient to address key questions (e.g., modified Delphi process).
- Master's or PhD degree in public health, clinical epidemiology, health services research, biostatistics, health technology assessment, health economics, or related quantitative social science field. Genetics expertise desirable.
- Training and experience in applied quantitative research methods, analysis and biostatistics.
- At least 3 years of experience conducting systematic reviews of the medical literature, searching for scientific literature on the internet, critically evaluating the research methods and statistical findings of published studies, interpreting and applying clinical biostatistics, developing evidence-based clinical recommendations and policies based on these findings, facilitating consensus and presenting and disseminating results.
- Analytical, consulting, and project management experience, including demonstrated ability to determine the key business issues and develop appropriate action plans from multidisciplinary perspectives. Expertise in “test evaluation” (analytic validity, clinical validity, clinical utility) desirable.
- Outstanding organizational, prioritization, and time management skills to manage projects; works within budgets and schedules with flexibility and creatively mitigate risks
- Exceptional proficiency with basic computer applications (specifically Microsoft Office 2010 or above—Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and EndNote); ability to manage files and work within a digital environment comfortably; experience with references management software is strongly desired.
- Experience in GRADE evidence grading system, tools to assess the methodological rigor of clinical studies and systematic reviews.
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines to meet ACMG policy and protocol requirements.
BENEFITS AND SALARY
The salary for this exempt, full-time position will be commensurate with the candidate’s skill and experience. ACMG offers an excellent benefits package.
This is a largely sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Benefits and Salary
The salary for this exempt, full-time position shall be commensurate with the candidate’s skill and experience. ACMG offers an excellent benefits package.
How To Apply
Please click I'm Interested to upload your resume and cover letter and three professional references. Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.