- 31 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Amber is a new way to buy power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 30 mins and the technology to shift more of their energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid. It’s a cheaper way to buy power and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy.
We are growing rapidly and have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs including Square Peg Capital, Giant Leap (Impact Investment Group) and Black Sheep Capital. We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better.
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of 20 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
As a Software Engineer you’ll be working as part of a small but fast growing Product & Technology team, reporting directly to the CTO.
The Amber Electric product team develops and supports:
- Mobile & Web apps for customers to monitor and manage their energy usage
- A pricing and billing engine for real time energy pricing
- Home automation integrations to control electricity usage in response to pricing and renewable availability
- The marketing site and associated tools to drive customer growth
The tech stack is React Native mobile app, some React web frontends, and a Serverless Lambda backend on AWS. We’re using Typescript top to bottom, and Apollo GraphQL sits in the middle. You can learn more about our tech stack at https://stackshare.io/companies/amber-electric
While we’re looking for talented and driven individuals our desire is to build a champion team, not a team of champions. We’re full-stack-ish; while it’s impossible for everyone to excel across every layer of the stack we value people who can chip in wherever they’re needed. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace from the ground up. We want engineers who are as comfortable communicating with people as they are with their code.
As a Software Engineer at Amber you will:
- Make sustainable and high quality technical contributions across the stack in the areas of your speciality
- Flexibly contribute outside your speciality in other areas of the stack supporting your team when they need it
- Work collaboratively with your peers in product and across the wider company to ensure you're always shipping the right thing the right way at the right time
- Support the app across the whole lifecycle from idea through to production
This is a full time role based in Melbourne. Due to Covid, we are majority work from home, with one to two days a week catching up in a coworking space in the CBD. We expect to remain Melbourne based but maintain flexibility between the office and working from home.
At Amber, we want to hire self-starters who are eager to learn, and are comfortable working in a changing environment. Some of the key traits we are looking for in this role:
- You have a positive mindset: equal parts curious, collaborative, and can-do.
- Between two and six years of commercial development experience in either Web or Mobile environments.
- At least one of:
- Experience in teams with modern software delivery practices: continuous delivery, developers supporting production operations, pragmatic agile/lean processes, etc.
- Relevant domain expertise from working in a relevant industry sector such as energy of IoT automation
- Strong verbal and written communications skills built on a foundation of empathy for your fellow humans is essential.
- Be part of a growing technology startup that will shape the future of renewable energy in Australia
- Exciting coworking location in the CBD
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements
- Equitable gender neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Weekly book club to support ongoing learning as a team
- Competitive salary and equity
To apply please fill in the form linked to by the "I'm interested" button below
Please include your resume and in the "Message to Hiring Manager" field tell us one specific way you could use your technical skills to improve a household's energy use under the Amber model.
If you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed above we still encourage you to apply.
You’ll know better than us if there’s something different in your background or experience that makes you the right person to help us on our mission of transforming the Australian energy market.
Our process will generally be as follows:
- A screening interview with the CTO or other senior engineer
- A take-home technical challenge that should take around four hours
- A follow up in person interview with two members of the engineering team
- A final chat with one of the founders
We promise to be respectful of your time as an applicant while trying to be as thorough as possible in finding the right fit for our team.
Direct applications from candidates only, no recruitment firms please.