Facilities and Maintenance Assistant
Amara is committed to positive long-term outcomes for children and families. We drive systemic change, promote healing, and advance racial and LGBTQIA+ equity by offering programs and services to families engaged with foster care and to adoptees and families, post-adoption.
At Amara, we believe that a supportive, equitable and inclusive workplace, where everyone feels valued, trusted, and nurtured, is key to shaping organizational culture and investing in underrepresented communities. Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strongly invite candidates from diverse backgrounds, including communities of color, the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
The Facilities and Maintenance Assistant is responsible for handling the day-to-day facility repair and maintenance needs as well as assisting with emergency maintenance tasks. This position interacts with and supports all Amara staff at both our King and Pierce County offices, and as such will require routine travel between those sites. The ideal candidate is both an excellent communicator and collaborator who is comfortable managing multiple priorities. We anticipate this position to require 70% of the applicant’s time be spent working in our Pierce County office and 30% of their time in our King County office.
The Facilities and Maintenance Assistant reports to the Capital Projects and Facilities Manager and works closely with Amara staff across all programs. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following.
Office Management and Facilities
· Maintains, services, and conducts minor repairs on buildings and equipment as directed.
· Performs a variety of semiskilled duties in the areas of plumbing (repairing leaks, unclogging toilets, and drains), electrical (replacing lights, and electrical receptacles), painting, appliance repair/maintenance or HVAC.
· Maintains parking lot and grounds maintenance including debris and snow removal as needed.
· Responsible for landscaping projects including both routine maintenance and special projects.
· Drafts and implements preventive maintenance schedules for buildings and equipment.
· Maintains inventory of janitorial and maintenance related supplies and reorders products as needed.
· Maintains physical spaces, ensuring a safe, clean, and functional environment for staff, clients, and tenants.
· Responsible for changing all HVAC filters according to maintenance schedule. Coordinate annual HVAC servicing with approved vendors according to maintenance schedule.
· Oversee weekly trash/recycle/compost removal and coordinate any special pickups with appropriate vendors.
· Responsible for supporting and coordinating facilities projects, maintaining office and common spaces such as conference rooms and assisting staff and outside presenters in setting up meetings with proper equipment.
· Acts as “on-call” personnel for maintenance related emergencies which may require evening and/or weekend work.
· Participates in emergency preparedness planning and training.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing and construction terms and practices, including energy efficiency methods used in construction.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to communicate effectively with staff, vendors, and tenants.
· Ability to work independently on routine assignments and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
· Must be organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and able to multi-task.
· Ability to comprehend written materials (schematic drawings, blueprints, instruction manuals).
· Ability to learn safety regulations and practice safety precautions.
· Must be at least 21 years of age.
· Have high school diploma or GED.
· Two to Five years of experience in construction, maintenance, or repair work.
· A valid WA State Driver’s license.
· Ability to pass a criminal background check.
Criminal Background Check
Because this position has access to confidential client, employee, or financial information OR direct interaction with children any final candidate hired into this position must successfully pass a criminal background check performed by the State of Washington. Any job offer is contingent on successfully passing this background check.
Amara requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This requirement is designed to prioritize the safety of the children and families we serve. Exemptions may be sought only for documented medical or religious accommodations.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time hourly position with a range of $19.50-$22.00/hour, depending on experience. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life, and disability insurance.
To express your interest in this position, please send your resume and a one-page cover letter indicating why this position is the right opportunity for you. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amara is an Equal Opportunity Employer