Family Time Visitation Specialist - Full-time (Pierce County)
- Tacoma, WA, USA
Amara is committed to positive long-term outcomes for children and families. We drive systemic change, promote healing, and advance racial and LGBTQ+ equity by offering programs and services to families engaged with foster care and to adoptees and families, post-adoption.
At Amara, we believe that a supportive, equitable and inclusive workplace, where everyone feels valued, trusted and nurtured, is key to shaping organizational culture and investing in underrepresented communities. Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strongly invite candidates from diverse backgrounds, including communities of color, the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
We are seeking to hire a Family Time Visitation Specialist to join our team. Become an integral and valued part of a team working to support children in foster care. The services this position provides are critical to the Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) in providing families with opportunities to continue their relationship and bonding, and to reunify families when possible. The Family Time Visitation Specialist will need to be highly organized, have strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to hold firm boundaries while also acting with a high level of compassion for the children and families we serve.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing transportation to, and supervision of, visits between families who are involved with the Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) and their children who are in foster/kinship care; visits will include in-person and virtual (only when necessary); locations of visits range throughout Pierce County and may also include King County (depending on logistics of visits and need). Must have schedule flexibility and availability for evening and weekend visits.
- Providing STRIVE (parent education and visitation support) services through the course of grant funding; this work will include an immersive and hands on training; locations of visits/services range in Pierce and King Counties.
- Completing timely, detailed and objective reports on the visits, Strive services and data entry;
- Coordinate visitation schedules with all parties included in each visit (e.g. logistical coordination, rescheduling as needed)
- Assisting Amara in providing various supports as needed to the families we serve;
- Assisting with childcare at Amara events;
- Assist with meeting logistical client needs—transportation, pick-up/drop off of goods, etc.; and
- Assist with reports, documentation, and administrative tasks.
- Education/Experience Requirement
- High School Diploma or GED and 12 months experience working with children and families. Or,
- Associate’s Degree in Human Services or a related field (or 2 years of completed coursework toward a Bachelor’s Degree) and six months experience working with children and families. Or,
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field and six months experience working directly with children and families.
- Knowledge of child development, child safety, discipline practices, and family systems
- High level of competence and confidence when working with children
- Initiative, independence, flexibility, and maturity
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Ability to remain neutral and unbiased in reporting
- Experience working with diverse families (variety of religions, races, cultures, ages, and socioeconomic levels)
- Solid writing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to have a flexible schedule and work evening and weekend hours
- Willingness and ability to work in King and Pierce counties, and surrounding areas
- Must have a valid Washington State driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and proof of auto insurance
- Ability to pass a background check
- Current certification in First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for infants, children and adults, and completion of a minimum of two hours of instruction on blood borne pathogens in the past five years
- Must provide proof of Tdap (whooping cough) vaccination from within the last 10 years
- Must be at least 21 years of age
Salary and Benefits
Hourly pay $17.50-18.50/hour DOE. Mileage will be tracked and reimbursed on a monthly basis. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life and disability insurance.
Criminal Background Check
Because this position has access to confidential client information and direct interaction with children any final candidate hired into this position must successfully pass a criminal background check performed by the State of Washington. Any job offer is contingent on successfully passing this background check. A list of disqualifying convictions for this position is available at https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/secretaryslist.pdf.
Please submit a resume to the SmartRecruiters with “Family Time Visitation Specialist” in the subject line of your application. Applications will be accepted until 8/31/2021. No Phone calls please.