Family Time Visitation Specialist
- 3501 104th St E, Tacoma, WA 98446, USA
Amara works to ensure that every child in foster care has the love, support, and comfort of a committed family – as quickly as possible, and for as long as the child needs. We work with foster families who are committed to caring for children, whether for a month, a year, or a lifetime.
We are seeking to hire a Tacoma based Family Time Visitation Specialist to join our team. Become an integral and valued part of a team working to support children in foster care. The services this position provides are critical to the Department of Children Youth and Families (DCYF) in providing families with opportunities to continue their relationship and bonding, and to reunify families when possible. Your reports will become part of the records considered in making legal decisions regarding a child’s return home, or, the termination of parental rights. Adult family members often face a wide range of challenges, including but not limited to: substance abuse, poverty, housing/homelessness, and mental health issues. The Family Time Visitation Specialist will need to have a high level of compassion while also maintaining firm boundaries with families for whom he/she is providing visits.
Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strive for equality and justice in the way people are treated and the opportunities they have to succeed by working to address racism, unequal treatment and other barriers to inclusion. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds (including communities of color, the LGBT community, veterans, and people with disabilities) to apply and join us in our work.
The Family Time Visitation Specialist reports to the Family Time Coordinator and is part of the Family Time Team. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing transportation to, and supervision of, visits between families who are involved with the Department of Children Youth and Families (DCYF) and their children who are in foster care;
- Completing detailed and objective reports on the visits;
- Transporting to and supervising visits either at Amara’s office or in offsite locations, and documenting visits in detailed reports (though this person will be based in our Tacoma office visits may take place in other counties including King, Thurston, Kitsap, etc.);
- Assisting all our Amara Programs team in providing various supports as needed to the children and families we serve;
- Assisting with childcare at Amara events;
- Assist with meeting logistical client needs—transportation, pick/drop off of goods, etc.; and
- Assist with reports, documentation, and administrative tasks.
- Education/Experience Requirement
- High School Diploma or GED and two years experience working with children and families. Or,
- AA Degree in Human Services or a related field (or 2 years of completed coursework toward a Bachelors Degree) and one year experience working with children and families. Or,
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services or related field and six months experience working directly with children and families.
- Knowledge of child development, child safety, discipline practices, and family systems
- High level of competence and confidence when working with children
- Initiative, independence, flexibility, and maturity
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Ability to remain neutral and unbiased in reporting
- Experience working with diverse families (variety of religions, races, cultures, ages, and socioeconomic levels)
- Solid writing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to have a flexible schedule and work some evening and weekend hours
- Willingness and ability to work in Tacoma, Seattle, and surrounding areas
- A valid Washington State driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and proof of auto insurance
- Good driving record
- Ability to pass a background check
- Must provide proof of current flu and Tdap vaccinations
- Must be at least 21 years of age
Salary and Benefits
$16.50/hour starting. Mileage will be tracked and reimbursed on a monthly basis. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life and disability insurance.
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.