Overnight Veterinary Technician
The Greater Cincinnati Veterinary Specialists, or GCVS, as we are also known, is a specialty and referral hospital that also provides emergency and urgent care. At GCVS, our referral veterinarians are all board-certified in their field. Our technician and support team are tenured and highly capable of supporting our veterinarians with any patient needs that come through our doors! Our practice remains innovative in offering the latest medical techniques and equipment available. Best of all, our hospital culture! We support one another, love to keep learning (and mentoring others), enjoy a challenge and live for the moments where we make each other laugh.
We offer a wide range of services from internal medicine, dermatology, surgery, and rehabilitation. Our Internal Medicine department consists of two Board Certified Veterinary Internists. We offer neurology, cardiology, oncology, and of course, internal medicine. The services provided include, but are not limited to ultrasound, CT imaging, video otoscopic services, endoscopy, colonoscopy, intradermal allergen screening testing and further specialty testing not normally provided at a general veterinary practice. Our Specialists are highly educated in their fields of expertise. Our Surgery Service consists of a Board-Certified Surgeon with a wide variety of surgical experiences, offering soft tissue, orthopedic, and neurologic surgery options. Our Emergency Department is well versed at handling emergency cases, and consultation is available as needed on evenings, Fridays, and weekends. We also offer therapeutic laser procedures for both treatment and rehabilitation.
To learn more about us click here.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
Animal restraint, triage of incoming patients, collection and analysis of lab samples, diagnostic imaging, management and nursing care of medical and hospitalized cases with varying degrees of stability, administration of medications, effective communication of treatment plans with clients, surgical preparation and assistance, and anesthetic management.
Must be able to withstand unpleasant odors and noises. May be exposed to bites, scratches, animal waste and potentially contagious diseases.
Whether you’re looking to just be a master of your role or trying to grow into that next career move, you’ll have opportunities through a variety of virtual and hands on, interactive training and continuing development.
We’re looking for:
- A high work ethic and positive attitude team member
- Ability to arrive on-time and ready to work
- A minimum of 1-year experience preferred, CVT/RVT/LVT a bonus
- Weekend availability
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to communicate precisely
- Interpret medical records and record client history accurately
- Knowledge in preventative care, surgical procedures, and hospital flow
- Ability to restrain pets in a low-stress and safe manner
- Proficient in sample collection to include blood samples, urine, fecal, and skin
- Ability to properly set-up and process laboratory samples and tests
- Proficient in positioning and capturing radiographs, positioning for dental radiographs are a plus
- Proficient in anesthesia and surgical monitoring
- A self-starter with the desire to continue to advance one’s knowledge and skillset
- Ability to receive in a professional manner constructive feedback to maintain hospital efficiency
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
+ Ability to sit or stand and work at a computer for long periods of time.
+ Ability to be confident around animals (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc. Candidate to confirm species treated with practice leadership for additional clarity.)
+ Client needs and work volume may occasionally require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position may require special working hours, including working weekends, evenings and/or holidays.
+ Must have mental capacity and processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
+ The noise level in the work environment is moderately high. Ear plugs will be available upon request.
+ Job requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform required duties while working.
+ Ability to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
+ Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate other equipment as required.
+ Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
+ Hospital teammates are routinely exposed to a variety of animals that may bite, kick or scratch, and on occasion, may be exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological or zoonotic hazards and/or medication/controlled substances.
We offer our staff:
- Comprehensive Benefits (health, dental, vision, liability, 401k & 401K matching program, life & supplemental insurance, HSA, & FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time for ALL Employees
- Paid Bereavement Program
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Competitive Compensation
- Continuing Education Allowance (applies to licensed/registered/certified roles)
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Access to a CVA/CVT/CVPM Partnership through Penn Foster
- Career Development Opportunities
- Referral Bonus Program for most positions!
- Additional Benefits May Also Be Available (i.e. Personal Pet Discounts, Holiday Pay, Uniform Allowance, Bonuses etc)
- Hiring eligibility may be contingent to a candidate authorizing and completing a satisfactory background check.
*Note – some benefits may only be available to or vary slightly for full time employment status vs part time status.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy & Federal & State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin