Veterinary Technician Assistant
Rockville Road Animal Hospital is a well-established, progressive, fast paced 2 doctor small animal general practice with lots of growth potential located just 5 minutes away from I-465, the beltway circling Indianapolis. We offer many services to provide the best comprehensive care to our patients including Preventative Care, Surgery, Urgent Care, High Speed Dentistry, Cold Laser Therapy, In-House Diagnostics, Digital full-body x-ray, and dental radiology, and more.
Rockville Road Animal Hospital is in Indianapolis, known for being one of the most affordable big cities in the country offering a diverse population, ample indoor and outdoor entertainment options, and sports including the NBA, NFL, Indy Car racing and more! The proximity to I-465 and several other major highways, allows for easy commute to almost anywhere in Indiana. Whether you choose to live in downtown Indy or one of the surrounding suburbs you will find outstanding schools and plenty to do, making it an ideal place to raise a family! Popular activities include hiking, biking, concerts and festivals, sporting events including the Indianapolis 500, visiting museums (including the world’s largest Children’s Museum), and the theater. Indianapolis is a wonderful place to enjoy a healthy and active work-life balance.
To learn more about us click here.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
A Veterinary Technician Assistant helps the technicians, doctors, and receptionists in all duties of the hospital. The responsibilities vary with current needs of the hospital staff, the season of the year, and the individual abilities demonstrated by the employee.
The Veterinary Technician Assistant is responsible for beginning the procedures for examination. First, the animal is weighed, and the weight recorded, the temperature is taken and recorded, and medical history is taken. It may be necessary to help restrain the pet during the examination and treatment.
Kennel: Care of boarding and hospitalized animals including cage cleaning, exercising, feeding, observation for signs of illness, parasites and disease control, laundry, bathing procedures, keeping animals clean.
Hospital: General cleaning of public and employee areas, building and yard maintenance to maintain clean, odor-free, and attractive environment. Housekeeping and laundry duties for all areas.
Animal: Ability to restrain for procedures performed by technicians or doctors, knowledge of common diseases, their symptoms and means of transmission, administration of oral medications, assessment of appropriate.
Reception: Answering phones and updating clients with change in animal status.
Public Relations: Professional, cheerful, and helpful attitude when contacting pet owners. boarding and hospitalized patients from admission to discharge, knowledge of patient folders, vaccine schedules, other front desk procedures to assist receptionists.
Laboratory: Performance of simple in-house laboratory tests, completion of forms for out house laboratory, filing of laboratory reports and cleanup of laboratory area. Aiding in the performance of diagnostic imaging
Assisting: Animal restraint, nail trimming, ear cleaning, and computer transaction entry during office hours or treatment times.
Inventory: Unpacking, labeling, and stocking of hospital supplies, and stocking of cleaning and office supplies
- Dispense medication which the doctor has prescribed.
- Take drug inventory
- Assist in preparing patients for surgery
- Clean, pack and autoclave surgical instruments.
- Responsible for the cleanliness of the entire hospital.
- Keep the wards and kennels clean and disinfected, very high priority.
- Maintenance of autoclave and anesthesia machine.
- Keep the exam room organized, ensuring a smooth & efficient client flow. Check all exam rooms for cleanliness, neatness & re-stock at the end of every shift. Sweep & spot clean floors & walls when necessary. Notify staff members of contamination of the exam room when there has been an animal with a communicable disease in a room.
- See that necessary literature is always available for you or doctor to give to client.
- Check on in-patients throughout the day and report any abnormalities to doctor.
- Assist the Veterinary Technicians and Assistants, with all patient care
- Keep the treatment area clean and free of dirty items used during treatment.
CONTROLS OVER WORK
The practitioners provide continuing or individual assignments indicating generally what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity expected, deadlines and priority of assignments. The practitioners provide additional, specific instructions for new, difficult, or unusual assignments in animal health care, including suggested work methods or advice on source materials available. The Veterinary Technician Assistant uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instructions, but refers deviations, problems, and unfamiliar situations not covered by instructions to the practitioner for decision or help. The practitioners assure that finished work and methods used are technically accurate and in compliance with instructions or established procedures. Review of the work increases with more difficult assignments if the veterinary technician assistant has not previously performed similar assignments. Administrative supervision may be provided by the Practice Manager.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases.
We are looking for someone with:
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of the procedures used for receiving, treating, and scheduling patients, and requesting laboratory tests.
- Knowledge of the use, care, and storage of veterinary instruments, materials, and equipment.
- Knowledge of sterilization techniques to sterilize various instruments and materials.
- Knowledge of the instruments, materials, and standardized procedures used in the full variety of treatments.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
+ Ability to sit or stand and work at a computer for long periods of time.
+ Ability to be confident around animals (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc. Candidate to confirm species treated with practice leadership for additional clarity.)
+ Client needs and work volume may occasionally require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position may require special working hours, including working weekends, evenings and/or holidays.
+ Must have mental capacity and processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
+ The noise level in the work environment is moderately high. Ear plugs will be available upon request.
+ Job requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform required duties while working.
+ Ability to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
+ Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate other equipment as required.
+ Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
+ Hospital teammates are routinely exposed to a variety of animals that may bite, kick or scratch, and on occasion, may be exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological or zoonotic hazards and/or medication/controlled substances.
We offer our staff:
- Comprehensive Benefits (health, dental, vision, liability, 401k & 401K matching program, life & supplemental insurance, HSA, & FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time for ALL Employees
- Paid Bereavement Program
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Competitive Compensation
- Continuing Education Allowance (applies to licensed/registered/certified roles)
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Access to a CVA/CVT/CVPM Partnership through Penn Foster
- Career Development Opportunities
- Referral Bonus Program for most positions!
- Additional Benefits May Also Be Available (i.e. Personal Pet Discounts, Holiday Pay, Uniform Allowance, Bonuses etc)
*Note – some benefits may only be available to or vary slightly for full time employment status vs part time status.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy & Federal & State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin