Veterinary Kennel Technician
- 1206 W 6th St, Laurel, MS 39440, USA
Sawmill Animal Hospital is the oldest veterinary hospital in Jones County, Mississippi! Their sister hospital, North Jones Animal Hospital is located four miles down the road. Both locations are open to clients Monday through Friday. Sawmill Animal Hospital operates on a walk-in basis with five full-time veterinarians. Whereas North Jones Animal Hospital runs on appointments operating with two veterinarians. Many staff members are tenured employees. Both practices see canine and feline patients and offer their patients the same exceptional services which include boarding, dental care, digital radiology, grooming, in-clinic diagnostic testing, hospitalization/intensive care, microchipping, nutritional counseling, pain management, pharmacy, preventative care, surgery, therapeutic laser treatments, ultrasound, vaccinations, and more.
If you are looking for a small-town feel, Laurel, Mississippi is the place for you! It’s a short ride to either Montgomery and Biloxi, or the Gulfport & Biloxi Beaches. Laurel, Mississippi has gained popularity recently thanks in part to HGTV’s Home Town show. The show features Erin and Ben Napier renovating old homes in the town they grew up in. Laurel Main Street offers an array of shops, bakeries, restaurants, and events. For those interested in art, visit Lauren Rogers Museum of Art. The town stays active by hosting numerous events from Crawfests to 5k runs.
To learn more about us click here.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
The kennel tech is responsible for the care, feeding, medicating and cleaning of our patients in hospital, and our clients in the boarding facility. This job involves cleaning, laundry, bathing, feeding, walking dogs, and medicating. You are responsible for restocking hospital supplies, helping with post-operative patients, assisting doctors and assistants with animal restraint and exams. You will be responsible for proper recordkeeping of medications, special foods, appetite, behavior and any issue that may arise while the animal is in our care.
We are looking for someone with:
- Knowledge of cleaning and disinfecting methods.
- Proper methods of animal restraint.
- Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency.
- Perform moderately heavy physical labor (large dogs, bags of litter, pet foods, etc).
- Ability to sympathetically and patiently attend to sick, scared and injured animals.
- Ability to learn to administer medications and to recognize abnormal conditions.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of the job.
We offer our staff:
- Comprehensive Benefits (health, dental, vision, liability, 401k & 401K matching program, life & supplemental insurance, HSA, & FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time for ALL Employees
- Paid Bereavement Program
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Competitive Compensation
- Continuing Education Allowance (applies to licensed/registered/certified roles)
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Access to a CVA/CVT/CVPM Partnership through Penn Foster
- Career Development Opportunities
- Referral Bonus Program for most positions!
- Additional Benefits May Also Be Available (i.e. Personal Pet Discounts, Holiday Pay, Uniform Allowance, Bonuses etc)
*Note – some benefits may only be available to or vary slightly for full time employment status vs part time status.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy & Federal & State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin