Veterinary Practice Manager
- 1502 N Emerson Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46219, USA
Indy Paws Veterinary Hospital is a family-oriented Veterinary practice on the East side of downtown Indianapolis. Previously known as Emerson Pet Clinic, the practice has been an establishment in the Little Flower community for many years providing wellness and illness care to the area's furry residents. Since purchasing the practice in 2017, Dr. Wiley has been working to expand the practice's offerings and medical care. Dr. Wiley is looking for a partner that can uphold the high standard of client, patient, and employee care that are vital to our hospital's continued growth. We have all of the bells and whistles of a modern practice and have remodeled half of the practice in 2018. We have plans to continue updating the building in the future.
To learn more about us click here.
We’re looking for:
A courteous and efficient veterinary practice manager to coordinate and manage all office administration procedures. The veterinary practice manager’s responsibilities include ordering, inventory management, coordinating schedules, resolving conflicts among office staff members, training of staff members, and all other aspects which keeps the practice operating efficiently. You should also be able to answer pet owners' questions regarding clinic policies, appointment availabilities, and treatment costs.
To be successful as a veterinary practice manager, you should be patient, detail-oriented, and adept at multitasking. Ultimately, an outstanding veterinary practice manager should be able to communicate effectively with pet owners and veterinary staff members as well as demonstrate exceptional management, organizational, and customer service skills.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Make informal recommendations to the veterinary regional manager concerning such personnel matters as staffing needs, advancement, re-assignments, hours of work or other status changes affecting the receptionists.
- Direct on-the-job training to develop employee skills, advise employees of performance requirements and their progress in meeting those requirements, discuss corrective measures to improve performance and prepare appraisals.
- Recruit/Hire/Onboard appropriate staff members that fit within the culture and the needs of the hospital. Terminate staff members that do not follow the guidelines, policies, and protocols. This includes handling job descriptions and assisting with setting salaries.
- Market your hospital to prospective customers and the veterinary community by identifying and attending relevant local and regional events.
- Resolve informal employee complaints, provide a general explanation of the nature and basis for hospital personnel policies and procedures; maintain effective employee-management communication.
- Work well with all team members and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors, and the practice philosophy.
- Knowledge of hospital procedures for assembling patient records in their required order and sequence and for recording a variety of veterinary practitioners’ orders for patient activities, diet, tests, and treatments to maintain an accurate and permanent report of patient information.
- Knowledge of spelling and meaning of commonly used veterinary terminology (e.g., terms of anatomy, physiology, diseases, tests, etc.) to accurately enter specific information into patient records.
- Requires skill in obtaining information from owners to complete records, in giving instructions for scheduling appointments and therapeutic activities and in relaying the practitioners’ orders concerning animal care and treatment.
- Ensuring that pet owners' complaints are promptly addressed and resolved.
- Strong client service skills.
- Preparing employee work schedules and managing the office staff.
- Strong leadership, communication, and motivations skills. Has the ability to direct, guide and assist a group of individuals.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Ability to show unbiased judgment when managing people and make fair and just recommendations regarding personnel issues and/or disciplinary action.
- Answering telephone calls in a polite and professional manner.
- Establish inventory control system to assure adequate stocks of supplies are available. Review best prices for all products purchased. Maintain inventory control, including controlled drugs, by monitoring product quantities, qualities, and price points. This includes equipment and dealing with returns.
- Manage and/or implement hospital policies, including DEA/Controlled Substances and OSHA.
- Ensure payroll is completed and submitted accurately and in a timely manner.
- Establish good relationships with vendors to receive the best support that vendor has to offer the hospital.
- Promptly notifying the appropriate veterinary staff of emergency cases.
- Interviewing suitable office staff candidates and providing training to office employees as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experienced or Certified Veterinary Practice Manager with a minimum of 1-year management experience preferred or 3+ years veterinary experience preferred
- knowledgeable in veterinary medicine terminology and how to run a veterinary hospital
- Compassionate, Calm, Team Player, Multi-Tasker and Strong Communicator
- Highly organized and possess computer skills
- Self-starter with the desire to continue to advance your knowledge and skillset
- Open availability with flexibility to change hours based on hospital’s needs
We offer our staff:
- Comprehensive Benefits (health, dental, vision, liability, 401k & 401K matching program, life & supplemental insurance, HSA, & FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time for ALL Employees
- Paid Bereavement Program
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Competitive Compensation
- Continuing Education Allowance (applies to licensed/registered/certified roles)
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Access to a CVA/CVT/CVPM Partnership through Penn Foster
- Career Development Opportunities
- Referral Bonus Program for most positions!
- Additional Benefits May Also Be Available (i.e. Personal Pet Discounts, Holiday Pay, Uniform Allowance, Bonuses etc)
*Note – some benefits may only be available to or vary slightly for full time employment status vs part time status.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy & Federal & State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin