Planning and Control Engineer
- HQ, San Francisco, CA, United States
At AeroVect, we automate baggage and cargo logistics at some of the busiest passenger airports and air freight hubs in the world. Backed by top-tier investors, AeroVect is shaping the future of airport automation, beginning with self-driving tow tractors.
If you have a passion for applying autonomous driving technologies to impact the flow of goods for millions of people, we want to talk to you!
We’re looking for a talented planning and control engineer who is eager to bring entire modules of the autonomous driving stack to life from the ground up.
In this role, you will be leading our efforts around developing robust motion planning and vehicle control capabilities in a fast-paced, early-stage startup environment. You will own and lead the design, simulation, and real-world implementation of a safety-critical module as part of creating a category-defining ground vehicle system to automate cargo and baggage movement at some of the busiest airports around the world.
Your job scope will involve selecting and working with both cutting-edge techniques as well as proven, off-the-shelf technologies to enable safe and reliable vehicle motion planning and controls execution in both indoor and outdoor environments, including cargo terminals and vehicle corridors.
The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
This role will work directly with our co-founders and the Autonomy Lead.
What You’ll Do
- Define, lead, and own the hands-on creation of the core motion planning and vehicle control software stack — expect to spend ~80% of your time performing hands-on development, with the remaining 20% integrating with our overall software stack, working with a team of world-class engineers to target aggressive milestones.
- Design, implement, and test safety-critical localization functionality through simulations and real-world test runs, executing a multi-stage pilot project in contexts that include baggage halls, vehicle corridors and the airport apron.
- Work with the engineering team at large to support all aspects of ground vehicle autonomy, including perception, planning, navigation, and infrastructure subsystems
- Collaborate with vehicle engineering to create an integrated system, including calibration and integration
- Understand and keep up to date with state of the art
- Up to 50% travel may be required
- Strong CS fundamentals (via academic or industry experience)
- High-performing engineering experience
- 2+ years experience working on software engineering teams
- Comfort with shipping safety-critical software
- Experience shipping motion planning and control functions as part of a working robotics or vehicle autonomy system
- Candidates with unconventional experiences especially encouraged
- Willingness to get hands-on and have lots of fun
- Advanced research experience in vehicle autonomy or machine learning
- Background in safety-critical software/system development (preferably a ground robotics functional safety standard such as ISO 26262 or IEC 61508)
- Prior experience developing and supporting all aspects of autonomy for a production ground-vehicle subsystem, or research prototype (end-to-end, full lifecycle development preferred)
- Startup experience
- Experience with ROS
AeroVect is a technology company that applies the latest advances in autonomous driving systems to create today the airports and logistics centers of the future. We work with airports around the world to bring self-driving tow tractors to life.
Our experienced team of engineers and aerospace industry specialists from Harvard and MIT have collectively spent decades developing cutting-edge autonomy and aerospace technologies. Founded on the principles of safety, efficiency, and reliability, our mission is to create the airport of the future today, making logistics work for millions of people while having lots of fun on the way. Read more on our website at www.aerovect.com .
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.