Director of Finance
- Job-Category: Finance
- Job Type: Permanent
- Job Schedule: Full-Time
Discover a tranquil retreat two blocks from the heart of the Financial District at Novotel Miami Brickell. Featuring a lobby design inspired by the city’s beachfront culture and colors, our contemporary Downtown Miami hotel is adjacent to Simpson Park, a preserved swath of hardwood forest. Sweeping views of the tree canopy, framed by skyscrapers and sparkling Biscayne Bay, give our rooftop pool and bar the feel of a tropical resort.
When you’re ready to explore the area, it’s less than a 10-minute walk to South Miami Avenue and its buzzing bars, tempting restaurants and upscale shopping centers. Business travelers can make the short stroll to financial institutions and corporate offices on Brickell Avenue. A nearby Metrorail stop puts the rest of the city within easy reach. Enjoy seamless connections to the cruise port and top Miami attractions, including Bayfront Park, FTX Arena and Vizcaya.
At Novotel Miami Brickell, the best of the city is at your doorstep.
Purpose: The Director of Finance directs the accounting and control functions at the hotel, while ensuring timely reporting of operating results and maintenance of the integrity of the management information system.
Reports to: General Manager should there be a dotted line to Diego?
- Oversee day to day operations of accounting department Prepare the financial statements within the period’s supplies in the corporate closing schedule and according to the Accor Policies and Procedures, GAAP and USALI.
- Assist departments in the interpretation, orientation, training and analysis of revenue, payroll and expense matters.
- Analyze and interpret financial results to assist and advise the General Manager, A3 (ownership representative) and the Accor Corporate Team.
- Maintain system of accounts and controls, providing accurate data necessary for all required accounting reports and statements.
- Actively involved in ensuring clean internal and external audit reports.
- Maintain balance sheet analysis on at least a quarterly basis and preferably monthly with full supporting detail.
- Prepare accurate cash flow statements and projections monthly and on request.
- Maximize working capital and cash flow statements and projections monthly and on request.
- Prepare timely and accurate sales, use and occupancy tax returns as well as any other external reports or returns as deemed necessary.
- Ensure successful treasury cash management as set forth in the policies and procedures manual.
- Ensure compliance with management agreements and contracts and attendant legal documents. Understanding how those documents translate into financial responsibilities and how they may affect both the hotels and Corporate is financial position.
- Maintain effective system and control procedures as set forth in the policies and procedures manuals.
- Ensure integrity and efficiency of computerized data processing functions.
- Ensure that all financial reports, budgets, forecasts, and other information required by A3, or Accor corporate team are accurately compiled and submitted within the specified time limits, identifying variances, and making recommendations for improvements as appropriate.Prepare and post journal entries, ensuring efficient completion of all month-end functions for review
- Monitor, supervise and prepare month-end balance sheet account reconciliation and analysis
- Lead and organize the creation of the Annual Operating & Capital Budgets, Strategic Plan, and Monthly Operating Forecasts
- Coordinate and ensure that all daily, semi-monthly and monthly management reports are issued on a timely and accurate basis.
- Ensure there is effective utilization and integration of hotel and accounting technology systems, including software applications, current and future.
- Review forecasts and budgets prepared by hotel management team to ensure that owners, A3, the General Manager, and Accor Corporate Management are provided with guidelines of performance that are both reasonable and achievable.
- Ensure all legal, treasury, and tax documentation is properly maintained and secured, and that all statuary and fiscal reporting requirements are satisfied, which includes any governmental requirements for permits and licenses.
- Ensure adequate insurance coverage is maintained to protect the assets of the hotel with regard to the requirements contained in the hotel's management contract.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and maintained for the protection of the hotels' assets against loss or misappropriation.
- Successfully lead and perform an advisory or interpretive role as well as to recommend controls related to the ethical environment.
- Continuously monitor economic, social, and governmental trends and policies to ensure the General Manager, A3 and Accor Corporate Management are kept fully apprised of any implications that may affect the performance of the hotel in meeting its financial objectives. – this sounds deep!
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas, and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills, and conducts meetings.
- Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and can read and interpret written information.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, and monitors their own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and can deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
Hotel Specific Essential Functions:
- Monitor the IT Company and contract.
- Review and sign contracts as assigned by the General Manager
- Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language. Spanish an asset.
- Professional designation or acceptable university degree with an appropriate specialization in Accounting or enrolled in a recognized accounting program with progression to 4th or 5th level.
- Minimum of 3 years hotel accounting experience and previous accounting experience at a senior level.
- Proven leadership and coaching skills with a track record of developing a highly motivated and cross-trained group of progressive accounting professionals.
- Familiarity with hotel operating systems and software, including OneStream, Microsoft Office, Silverware, Opera and Birchstreet.
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.