Health & Safety Officer
- 47 Bryce Street, Castlecliff, Whanganui 4501, New Zealand
- AFFCO Site: Castlecliff
- Department: Health & Safety
AFFCO provides the world with New Zealand’s finest premium beef and lamb products. We serve over 80 markets globally, supported by an operation which includes twelve processing plants throughout New Zealand.
Come and join us and receive some amazing benefits ranging from discounted meat products from our employee store, through to discounted services and shopping such as eye tests, dentist visits, Gilmores Wholesale and much much more through our amazing employee perks program.
We are currently seeking a passionate Health and Safety Officer to join our leadership team based at our Castlecliff plant in Whanganui. As the Health and Safety Officer, your role is to support, inform and engage people leaders so their teams remain healthy and go home safe every day. This role champions a health and safe workplace through a planned approach to health and safety, but with a robust and effective systems for incident reporting and investigation and emergencies. This role requires a passion for people, and a desire to actively engage everyone on site in health and safety through formal H&S structures but also through interpersonal coaching and relationship building.
Key responsibilities include:
- Partner with site leadership to effectively identify and manage all H&S risks, including championing H&S programmes and initiatives including Machinery Safety, Covid 19, Emergency Management, Traffic Management, permit systems, isolation and lockout, hazardous substances certification requirements (to name a few key areas)
- Implement, maintain and monitor health and safety standards, procedures and systems on site, including ACC AEP and Claims Management.
- Manage the incident and injury investigation and reporting process onsite and ensure high quality investigations lead to effective control measures that prevent incidents from recurring
- All H&S reporting requirements, including incidents, risks, ACC Claims, drug and alcohol testing, audits etc
- Provide H&S oversight for contractor and construction activity on site.
- Drive employee engagement, participation and representation.
- Provide guidance and coaching to individuals and teams on site to foster a safety culture on site that empowers people to go home better off than when they arrived at work.
- Champion a continuous improvement culture and instil best practice across all aspects of the health and safety function.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience, qualifications and skills:
- Prior experience working in a high-risk environment.
- A formal qualification in occupational health and safety, related field, or commensurate experience.
- Sound knowledge of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and its application in the workplace.
- Proven experience in the areas of worker engagement, contractor management, incident management, training and competency, risk management, machinery safety, hazardous substances, traffic management, audit programmes and occupational hygiene.
- Strong relationship building, influencing and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to prioritise tasks through good time management and organisation skills.
- Professional, proactive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with:
- A supportive, well-established site leadership team
- The ability to make the role their own and autonomously manage a wide variety of day to day activities
- Opportunities for career development and advancement
- Competitive remuneration package
If you are a driven and motivated individual who is passionate about promoting and driving a zero harm culture then please apply online today or come in and see us at our plant at 47 Bryce Street, Castlecliff, Whanganui 4501.