Health & Safety Officer
- 47 Bryce Street, Castlecliff, Whanganui 4501, New Zealand
- AFFCO Site: Castlecliff
- Department: Health & Safety
AFFCO supplies the world with New Zealand’s finest premium beef and lamb products. We serve over 80 markets globally, supported by an operation which includes twelve processing plants throughout New Zealand.
We are currently seeking a passionate Health & Safety Officer to join our leadership team based at our Castlecliff plant, on the riverbanks of Wanganui As the Health & Safety Officer, your role is to support, inform and engage people leaders so their teams remain heathy and go home safe every day.
This role champions the reporting of near-misses, incidents and accidents onsite; coaching and assisting people leaders to investigate, review and design new controls as necessary. The role also includes an element of HR, supporting the HR Officer with recruitment and people management when required.
Key responsibilities include:
- Partner with site leadership to effectively identify, eliminate, minimise or control risks to an acceptable level.
- Ensure site compliance with health and safety standards, procedures and systems.
- Manage the incident and injury investigation and reporting process onsite.
- Track, analyse and report on health and safety patterns and trends.
- Drive employee engagement and participation in the management of occupational health and safety.
- Provide guidance and coaching to individuals on site to foster collective ownership of a safety culture.
- Champion a continuous improvement culture and instil best practice across all aspects of the health and safety function.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience, qualifications and skills:
- Prior experience working in a high-risk environment.
- A formal qualification in occupational health and safety, related field, or commensurate experience.
- Sound knowledge of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and its application in the workplace.
- Proven experience in the areas of incident management, training, hazard management, audit programmes, occupational hygiene and health and safety procedures.
- Strong relationship building, influencing and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to prioritise tasks through good time management and organisation skills.
- Professional, proactive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with:
- A supportive, well-established site leadership team
- The ability to make the role their own and autonomously manage a wide variety of day to day activities
- Opportunities for career development and advancement
- Competitive remuneration package
To ensure a safe workplace, AFFCO engage in pre- employment medical checks and drug screening. By applying for this role, you agree to undertake the necessary pre-employment screening. Please ensure you provide a current ID (such as a Drivers Licence or Passport).
Applicants must be eligible to work in New Zealand.
Apply online today!