VICE PRESIDENT FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsive and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector’s connection and responsiveness to issues of equality, diversity and inclusion.
TITLE: VP Finance & Administration
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
SALARY: $150,000 - $160,000
LAST UPDATED: July 5, 2022
The Vice President of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought partner and report to the President & CEO of ABFE. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The Vice President of Finance and Administration will play a critical role as a senior leadership team member in strategic decision-making and operations as ABFE continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization. This is a fully remote opportunity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
As ABFE continues to grow and advance its mission, the Vice President of Finance and Administration performs a key role in serving the institution, including overseeing finance and operations, maintaining financial records, updating and implementing internal control policies to safeguard assets, monitoring the investment portfolio and working as part of a larger staff team.
The Vice President of Finance and Administration is responsible for:
- Develop and implement fiscal strategies with great emphasis on allocating resources across functional expenses to meet the industry's standards.
- Lead annual and multi-year financial planning and budget development while providing revenue and expense management, cash flow and debt management and forecasting, and supporting teams in producing program and sponsorship-specific budgets.
- Oversee management of accounting and fiscal operations (payroll, accounts payable, insurance, and general accounting and bookkeeping, including credit card and cash reconciliations) and develop policies to ensure quality assurance, internal control, overall financial health, and solvency of the organization.
- Lead production of financial statements, reconciliations, and analyses to present to internal and external constituents, including monthly, quarterly, annual, and multi-year views.
- Lead production of the annual audit and IRS Form 990 submissions and serve as the main point of contact with ABFE's auditors.
- Oversee any/all Fiscal Sponsorship arrangements.
- Serve as the management liaison to the finance and audit committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at the board of directors and committee meetings.
- Represent the organization on financial matters and negotiations related to the line of credit, banking fees, vendor terms, and insurance policies.
- Closely monitor the organization's cash flow and prepare financial forecasts as needed.
- Lead the overall daily accounting operations of ABFE, including restricted and unrestricted funds
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of the general ledger
- Lead monthly and year-end closings and account reconciliations, including bi-weekly reconciliations with the development department.
- Lead the development of budgets for grant proposals and financial reporting as required by funders.
- Ensure compliance with applicable employment laws, policies, and regulations and maintain internal control procedures over the Human Resources function.
- Protect the organization's legal interests by ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local laws, statutes, and provisions governing our nonprofit operations.
- Coordinate all contracting (working with pro-bono legal counsel) across all organization functions
- Develop and maintain the organization's operations manual, including communication of all administrative policies and procedures.
- Manage payroll and benefits, including adding new staff, managing the relationship with our healthcare brokers, troubleshooting any changes or questions from the staff, and working with brokers and outside contractors to ensure accuracy and a seamless experience for staff.
- Oversee management of all offices, including search and contracting and renewal process for office space leases, negotiation, procurement, and maintenance of technology and office maintenance vendors and services.
- Ensure all equipment and facilities meet environmental, health, and security standards and comply with federal, state, and local building codes and regulations, including OSHA and EPA.
- Oversee IT infrastructure overhaul with IT consultants and ongoing maintenance to ensure a sustainable and seamless environment.
- Ensure all staff has the technology tools they need to do their work, including equipment and tools set up for new staff and tech support (in conjunction with outside consultants) for all staff.
- Responsible for supervising the Director of Administration, Staff Accountant, and any other staff member or consultant assigned to the Finance and Administration Department. This responsiblity includes day-to-day supervision, performance management, and professional development.
- Creates opportunities for cross-training and redundancy of skills within the department to ensure business continuity
- A genuine passion and deep appreciation for the mission of the ABFE.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Strong organizational, management, communication, analytical skills, and attention to detail.
- Expertise in financial accounting, budget development and reporting, project and grant management, and internal controls.
- Master's degree in Accounting and Finance, Business Administration, or related field.
- 10+ years of accounting and finance leadership expertise with proven experience in a significant senior-level financial management role in a nonprofit organization and a track record of strategic and tactical leadership abilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of the employee. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
ABFE is an at-will employer and may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without cause or notice.
ABFE is an active Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please include your resume and cover letter to be considered for this opportunity.