Director of Philanthropic Advising Services
ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsive and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector’s connection and responsiveness to issues of equality, diversity and inclusion.
DEPARTMENT: Programs and Philanthropic Advising Services
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Programs and Philanthropic Advising Services
LOCATION: Virtual Office (East Coast headquartered)
The Director of Philanthropic Advising Services (PAS) is responsible for developing, maintaining, and evaluating all ABFE educational and professional services programming to influence increased Philanthropy in Black communities. He/she/they has a lead role in working with national and regional organizations to provide workshops, training, and technical assistance that further advances racially equitable philanthropic and community-focused practices. The Director will manage a portfolio of curricula and serve as a lead instructor for ABFE curricula. Refining existing curricula and designing new work is a critical element for this advising services team so that it continues to reflect the latest thinking in racial equity practices in philanthropy and illuminates important & timely issues affecting Black communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Supervise and manage Philanthropic Advising Services internal (three trainer/advisor) and external training staff and administrative support (one to two staff members).
· Serve as a thought partner with Vice President of Programs and Philanthropic Advising Services
· Develop [in coordination with ABFE senior leadership] price structure, proposals, and presentations to drive forward client development via fee-for-service and grant-support opportunities.
· Develop and implement Philanthropic Advising Services curricula
· Ensure organizational progress toward financial and contract goals for programming.
· Lead or support short- and long-term planning processes, including annual work plans and long-term strategic plans for the PAS team.
· Manage a portfolio of clients and prospects, which includes monitoring/managing commitments and maintaining client & prospect records
· Serve as a liaison with other ABFE departments, to apprise departments of existing programs, client relationships, member engagement, promotion/marketing
· Develops and implements, with Vice President of Programs and Philanthropic Advising Services and in partnership with the Chief of Staff, ABFE racial equity training for existing staff and on-boarding of new staff, to help staff understand principles of racial equity practices
· Serve as a liaison and representative to strategic external partners
· Manage record-keeping and quarterly reporting of ABFE Philanthropic Advising Service clients and activities
· Lead the development and execution of high-quality racial equity programming curricula
· Implement professional development activities to enhance team skills
· Provide strong day-to-day leadership, supervisory, professional development, and coaching for internal and external team
Program Operational Management
· Apply organization's performance evaluation processes and monitor team progress for quarterly and annual progress and report to the Vice President of Programs and Philanthropic Advising Services on staff performance as needed
· Advise, support and oversee budgeting and budget tracking process for the department
· Ability to travel to conduct workshops, events/conferences, speaking engagements and in-person staff meetings, as needed.
· Driven self-starter who works effectively and efficiently with all colleagues, members, clients/prospects, and strategic partners holding any position within an organization
· An understanding of and commitment to ABFE's mission, including fundamental knowledge of racial equity in practice
· Solid written, interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to a high level of customer service
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines, demonstrating a flexible approach to teamwork and the ability to manage multiple high-stake initiatives using effective project management skills
· Proficiency in computer and web-based technology skills, including database management, word processing, list management, Microsoft Office and web-based programs (e.g. ASANA; SalesForce; Zoom; GoTo Meetings; etc.)
· Embraces and fosters a team/collaboration work-style
· Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a related field is required
· Minimum 6 years of relevant experience in membership, philanthropy, and nonprofit organization
· 4+ years of experience with facilitation and curriculum development
• Experience leading, coaching, and training for in-person and virtual audiences
- Experience with organizational change work in the non-profit/philanthropic sector
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of the employee. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
ABFE is an at-will employer and may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without cause or notice.
ABFE is an active Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.